cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS query: www.domain_name.co.uk and domain_name.co.uk

N/A

I have just (about) got my head around setting up an Apache server and hosting my own pages. I have configured additional DNS records so that www.domain_name.co.uk points to my server succesfully. BUT if I (or anyone else) enter simply domain_name.co.uk into their browser they still goto domain_name.plus.com Sad

Can someone point me to the (no doubt very simple) solution PLEASE Shockedops:

Thank you VERY much in advance
DavidH
1 REPLY
N/A

Hi

Assuming this domain is hosted with PlusNet, go into the Domain Names section and choose to configure the domain name in question.

Under domain hosting settings it should be checked for "Other".

Chose configure DNS settings, you need two settings here to achieve what you want and you will need to remove the existing one. The first entry will setup your_domain.co.uk to the IP address of Apache computer, enter as:

Left field: your_domain.co.uk. (note, put a full stop at the end of uk).
Type: A
Pri: leave blank
Right Field: IP address

The second entry is a CNAME, it is customary to use a CNAME for common targets, e.g. www or ftp.

Left field: www (yes just the www bit, nothing else).
Type: CNAME
Pril: leave blank
Right Field: your_domain.co.uk. (again remember to put a full stop after uk)

Save those and submit the changes.

Give it a few hours to update. A good tool to use to check the settings are correct is www.dnsstuff.com , top right hand side is DNS Lookup, put in your domain with the www and then without and leave record type as A to see what your settings are on the internet. Remember this will not reflect any new changes immediately.

To see what you are intending to get, use the tool and look at plusnet.com then www.plusnet.com.

Hope this helps