cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Suffix

N/A

DNS Suffix

I am setting up me Exchange 2003 server to use Blacklists to stop the spam and virus emails reaching my users mail boxes.

I order to do this I need the DNS suffix that Plus Net appends to the IP address.

Does anyone know what it is? :roll:

Cheers for any help,
Roddy
5 REPLIES
N/A

DNS Suffix

That should be obtainable via ipconfig on the command line, provided you are using DHCP and the the router doesn't eat the value.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DNS Suffix

If I have this right you want the public domain name that plus return in response to an rdns request. IPConfig will only give you the internal domain name which is probably different.
The rdns is usually username.plus.net

You can check your rdns by running a trace from outside your network. If you have a look at www.visualroute.com on the live demo page you can run a trace from various servers around the world. Enter your public IP address and your rdns name will appear in the node name column

HTH
Matt
N/A

DNS Suffix

Thanks Matt, I've tried the Visual Route demo and I've entered the Suffix so hopefull that will do. Thanks for your suggestion Phil but the ipconfig command will only tell me the internal IP range as the router and firewall block everything under the sun (except spam!).

Cheers for your help.
csogilvie
Grafter

DNS Suffix

The rDNS is actually usually username.plus.com (as thats the default)
N/A

DNS Suffix

If you computer gains the IP from a DHCP server, than the following should normaly be sent

IP
Subnet mask
Default gateway
DNS servers
hostname
DNS suffix

Not all DHCP servers give the suffix out. IE, My Zyxel doesnt, but my SAR715PV and EN5861 do.