cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Server

N/A

DNS Server

Hey,

How ofen does the plus net dns server update?

Thanks, Tim
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DNS Server

New DNS entries which are associated with PlusNets servers (like newly registered domains, transfered in/out domains or when a request to change a domains DNS entries) are added either automatically or manually by PlusNet and this new info is propogated through the DNS server network at regular intervals.

A DNS change can take upto 48 hours to propogate throughout the internet once the change is made on PlusNets DNS servers.

Are you having DNS problems or having problems accessing web sites?
N/A

DNS Server

Theres a site im trying to access which just changed ip address and they got there domain to point from the ip to the new ip when i type the domain in the address bar it dosent work and when i type the new ip in it does so i guess that means the domain name is trying to go to the old ip and hasent updated yet, is this a plus net thing or something else
N/A

DNS Server

This is a PlusNet thing and somthing else Smiley

The whole DNS system works by using timeouts. To save transfering repeated data, records are stored for X amount of time, before being classed as timed out.

These timeouts are set by the DNS server from which the record originated.

IE, the company you are dealing with, set the timeout. PlusNets and your own system will stick to these timeouts. After which,t hey will be refreshed.

Just give it time,a nd it will fix itself.
N/A

DNS Server

ok, how can i check when the timeout for a certain domain is due on the plus net servers?
N/A

DNS Server

From memory, I can't suegst a quick method.

However, you can sue the "dig" command on the cgi server to show when it thinks the timeout will take place.
N/A

DNS Server

soory didnt understand tht could you explain how to do it?

Thanks, really aprieted, tim
N/A

DNS Server

did u mean i go on command promt login to my cgi space useing telnet

and then what do i do?
N/A

DNS Server

Does any one know how to find out what the timeout is for a certain site on the plus nets dns servers?
N/A

DNS Server

After looking at it, it does seem that requesting addresses from the caching server is blocked.

So the method I had proposed would not work. However, I can do it on my own test machine here.

If you want, I will look at it for you.