cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cripplingly slow newsgroups, unresponsive server, help?

N/A

First off, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I'm trying to get my newsgroup messages through OE, and its being a total headache.

Now, I've seen the various comments about usenet being limited speed, but I'd assumed that only really affected binary newsgroups. I've been having real trouble just getting my messages from plain text newsgroups since I transferred to plus.net at the start of the month, and surely it shouldn't be this slow?

On screen right now I've got the following message:
"Your NNTP server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?

Account: news.plus.net
Server: news.plus.net"

When I'm trying to get messages from a particular group, usually it'll download a handful, then the message pops up a few times, click on Wait, then I get a few more posts through, then the message a couple more times, and so on. Its taken me over half an hour now to get 50 or so text only posts from a newsgroup, and its getting annoying (still waiting for the last 4 now). It seems that my connection to the newsserver keeps getting broken, but is this because of something stupid I've done, or a problem with the server, or what? I'm very confused. Its been like this since 3rd or so of November. It was faster on dial-up!

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tim
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

There are ongoing problems with the Usenet service at present as per Service Status

Sounds like that could be your issue.
N/A

Could be, but I've been having trouble since the start of the month, has the service been playing up since then? I thought it had only been for a few days....

Tim
N/A

If your downloading text only then you may have experienced some of the earlier usenet issues which existed previously this month. That particular issue was resolved only to be followed by a further unrelated issue.

Sergio is beavering away to get it fixed and hopefully all will be well soon.
N/A

Thanks for your help.

The other message I keep getting (I was waiting for it to appear again so I could quote it properly, and its just popped up) is this one:

" The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server

224 data follows

Configuration:
Account: news.plus.net
Server: news.plus.net
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 224
Code: 800ccc0f "

Not sure if that helps shed any light on what the trouble may be, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Tim
N/A

Hi Tim,

That error code generally relates to an issue between OE6 and Norton Anti Virus Products.

If you are using NAV then generally an uninstall and reinstall of NAV will sort it.
N/A

Not Norton, I've got AVG. I'll try reinstalling it anyway, although I was connecting fine on my previous ISP and had the same anti virus package. Thanks again for your help.

Tim