cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuously Sending Packets

N/A

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I've been having some trouble when either of my PC's (2k/Xp installed) are connected to the internet. When connected to the internet, they seem to be continously sending packets of data - not sure where or to whom. This happens even when I'm not browsing or have any of the usual internet applications running and it's not the usual small packets of data that would normally be sent under usual circumstances. Although I haven't deliberately uploaded anything, my half-hour session has sent over 10MB so far. Any ideas?

I'm also finding that after a short while on the internet, my machine can become extremely sluggish, with the CPU usage often hitting 100% and locking out my machine, despite the fact that I have only one or two applications running at the most. All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Lambsie
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Theres a freeware 2K/XP only utility that can tell you at a glance what exe is talking to what online

Active Ports

At best it could be a p2p util not closed fully and still sending. At worst a trojan worm.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

If you have a firewall such as zonealarm installed then reset everything to default.
After that anything that wants to connect to the net will bring up a box asking you for permission.
You can then see what it is and either allow or disallow it.
N/A

The magic word here sounds like "Blaster".

Make sure you have issued all updates and patches for your computers.

In some cases, it is not allways safe to use the automatic download feature of windows update. You may have to visit the site and scan.
N/A

All over now...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. In the end it was nachi (blaster with knobs on).

It's amazing - I'd installed a new operating system, and downloaded the patches as soon as I connected to the net, and yet still managed to pick up the virus in that space of time. Scary stuff.

All clean now - removed by Sophos. Appreciate the advice though.

Regards,

Lambsie
N/A

I have a little question to "piggy back" onto this thread, if I may.

When I click the little network icon in the taskbar, it says that the network has been active for just over 1 day (the router was restarted, etc) which is fine. But it shows the number of packets sent as 192,136,019 and number received as 198,584,415.

This seems rather a lot to me, should I be alarmed?
N/A

I don't quite know.

My best sugestion is to unplug the cable from your network card for 10 seconds, then back in.

The time will reset, however, the data counter may not.

Depending on the result, you should know if the value resets or not.

My network uptime is just shy of 14 days (damned brown outs), and I have only seen 2,841,177 received, though 12,886,726,724 sent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Reconnect to reset your connection stats and run a connection monitor, then see if they tally, if not something is wrong

ed: bah didnt look at the figures closely enough, thats about 190 mb nothing out of the ordinary if you have uploaded to a web site etc today.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

That is packets, not bits.

Unpluggin the cable and plugging is back in didn't reset the stats.

As for 189mb. What sort of site are you uploading to.

I rarly transfer 8mb per week to our website which is pretty photo intensive.
N/A

These stats are for this machine alone? It doesn't get much downloading uploading action, and I think 189mb is OTT. I'll investigate further Smiley