cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting when travelling in USA

N/A

Hopefully, this is the right place to ask this question, and I'm sure I'll be redirected elsewhere if not!

I have to travel to the US for business in August. I'm trying to figure out how I can connect to the 'Net for that week i.e. with local phone numbers rather than making international calls to the UK (even if the 0845 number worked from outside the UK).

I'm not concerned with e-mails etc - I can probably survive for a week without that - but I'm in the middle of an online study program and I need to connect with a web browser most days, preferably in the peace and privacy of my own hotel room rather than an Internet cafe.

I doubt that PN have a local number in Omaha, Nebraska but any other suggestions or advice will be most welcome.

Cheers

Jeremy
6 REPLIES
N/A

If you are only interested in picking up your email, you can use any Internet connection (Internet booth, Internet cafe, library, Office, Hotel etc) and log onto
http://www.mail2web.com/ to collect your mail.
N/A

The US is a little different for internet connectivity. They never picked up on the PAYG system, due to the way they have run most tarrifs.

As such,t he only ways are to have an account with a US provider, or an account with a provider for international conectivity.

I have to admit, whilst I absolutly hate AOL, they are very good for international local and free rate coverage. It may well be worth a look.

Otherwise, one wise choice is to look at providers reselling the iPass service. You can locate a reseller direct from THIS link.
N/A

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I need to browse - for ages - and in peace and quiet, I'm checking into a) iPass and b) a free 45-day AOL trial a/c, which will adequately cover the period I'm in the US.

I'm part way through an online MSc, I need to check into "class" 4 days minimum each week and contribute something deep and meaningful to discussions. That can take several hours of research and editing (daily) and Internet cafe's aren't the best places for serious work usually.

Again, I appreciate your advice, guys.

Jeremy Russell
N/A

libraries?
N/A

There were reports a while back about AOL requiring your credit card details for the free trial, then charging after the trial period even when you cancelled before the end of the trial.

But maybe they're OK about this now - I'm going back a few years.
N/A

You dont have to supply credit card details, you can just set up direct debit via the software, and then cancel it before the 45 days are up.

The only problem you will have tho is that you will receive a cd through the letter box about every 3 weeks telling you that theres a new version out and please will you come back. :lol: