cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2 computers to Internet

N/A

Hi Guy's,
Wife has just got herself a computer, great! now I can use mine myself.
I have a USB ADSL Modem connection for broadband, what do I need to get the wifes computer onto the internet? and how do I go about connecting it?
Thanks
Norm :lol:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to a more apt forum.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Norm dunno what operating system you are running on both computers but assuming it is a windows os then you can use internet connection sharing which is built in.

Have a look at http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/connection_sharing.php

Cheers,

Ben
Walrus
Grafter

If your PC is running Windows XP then using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as suggested above is very easy.

Physically connecting both machines can be achieved in many ways, but by far the easiest is using an RJ45 'crossover' cable. The 'crossover' bit is important, as most RJ45 network cables are straight thru. This connection method requires both PC's to have a network card, something that is often a feature built into motherboards these days. Be careful when looking at ports not to confuse analogue modem ports with network ports - the network ones are slightly bigger, if in doubt buy the cable first and see if it fits into a hole on both machines!

So in summary you need,

• One machine connected to the net - done
  • Network card in each machine
  • RJ45 crossover cable, connecting the 2 network cards
  • Enable Windows ICS, this is all software you have (if XP). Friendly wizards and online help will guide you thru the 5 minute process.

Some handy links (these won't be the cheapest, but I'm sure a PC World is probably near you if you need some bits).

RJ45 Crossover cable (3m)
Network Card

You can also forgo the cable completely and use wireless cards, the setup is effectively the same, except software configuration is a little more complicated. Also bear in mind wireless solutions can be more problematic and rarely give the 'quoted' distance range. It's either 2 wireless cards or 2 network cards and a cable, ignore anyone who tells you that you need any sort of fancy 'router' or 'hub', you don't.
N/A

TBH the best method is to buy a 4 port router/modem and dump the usb modem.

The router/modem is connected to the internet and u connect ur p/c's to the router. The advantage over ICS is the router is always connected (logged in) to the internet, so it is true "always on" access just switch on the pc & Windozes connects to your router on boot up. With a router it will become an automatic switch so creating a LAN for file sharing between the pc/'s. You dont need to have the pc (the one connected to the modem) on to use the internet when you want to use the other pc as u have to with ICS. Most routers come with firewalls + with NAT the security is better and finally ICS just sucks :lol:

You can pick up router/modem, make sure it has an in built modem as the cheaper router dont but u can connect modems to the router (usualy cable modems for NTL etc) for £40-50. A wireless setup will cost more.

Go check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for hardware reviews and setup info.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I would endorse this view. Much the easiest way would be to buy a router/ADSL modem. I use a Netgear DG834G that is excellent and very easy to automatically setup. Netgear 24 hour support and CS also excellent.

Remember you will need network cards and cables for both PCs. If you go for a wireless card in one PC it will save the hasle of running a cable from this PC to the router. Also as mentoned, the PC with the modem attached does not have to be on for other PC to use the ADSL connection.

If your printer has a network card you can also connect this to the router so both PCs can print. If the printer does not have a network card then you can still print OK from both machines but the the PC that has the printer attached has to be on.
N/A

And to share the internet connection, the machine with the modem connecting to the internet must be switched on.
Walrus
Grafter

TBH the best method is to buy a 4 port router/modem and dump the usb modem.

Best - under whos' definition? And why does he need 4-ports to connect 2 machines? Buy some fancy new gear, dump the old gear, seems wasteful to me. At the end of the day, it's his decision on how much he wants to spend on getting his wife connected to the net. I offered the simplest (and cheapest) solution. Routers can be problematic, especially if they start introducing another firewall layer etc. It depends how technically confident 'norray' feels I suppose, I don't doubt a router can be a good solution for some, but I often feel the K.I.S.S. strategy works best.

and finally ICS just sucks

Maybe you wish to qualify that statement somehow? I use the exact setup as described for personal use. For business use I have a rather large patch cabinet and various switches/hubs and routers. I know which setup is more reliable (and it isn't the business one).

Anyway, end of the day, 'norray' has all the options in front of him. The initial link provided by Ben (aka plexer) gives a good diagrammatical overview of the possible configurations.
N/A

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I will think the options over for a few days and then decide which way to go.
NORM
N/A

This might sound like gobledeguck, but I am certainly not a techie, but I use a wireless router, but have been told that the speeds will be restricted on the main computer to those achievable by the network card and on the second by the wireless capability. I was advised that it is possible to hardwire to the main computer to eliminate those restrictions....anyone know where it says how to do this? Does this make sense?
N/A

Wireless speeds are:
802.11b = 11Mbps
802.11g = 54Mbps
+802.11g = 108Mbps
Standard Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card) are either 10Mbps or 100Mbps

As the max DSL speed is only 2Mbps (currently) at the mo, wireless wont make any difference to the speed when accessing the internet.

The only area having wireless would affect is if you are transfering files/data across your network between your computers, the best speed u could obtain is via a 100Mbps NIC while the WIFI speeds are slower. Slower network speed means larger files/data are obviously going to take long to be moved.
Hardwiring is connectng your computer that is using the wireless with a CAT5 patch cable (just a normal network cable). However the assumption would be u r using WIFI because the PC is in another room and u wish to avoid running cables between it and the router if so do u really want to hardwire it?

Hope this helps a little.
N/A

Internet Connection Sharing

Hi,
Hope this is the way to reply to messages, I am new to Plusnet Forums.
I went for your cable cross over suggestion & followed instructions on ICS.
Have got icon of Plusnet modem on wifes computer, but when I click on it, it try's to connect, but then I get the message " no modem found".
Do I have to install Plusnet cd on wifes computer?.
I am running Win XP on both computers, both have net cards and I have disabled Tiny's preinstalled Supernet modem.
Hope you can point me in the right direction.
Marry thanks
Norm

If your PC is running Windows XP then using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as suggested above is very easy.

Physically connecting both machines can be achieved in many ways, but by far the easiest is using an RJ45 'crossover' cable. The 'crossover' bit is important, as most RJ45 network cables are straight thru. This connection method requires both PC's to have a network card, something that is often a feature built into motherboards these days. Be careful when looking at ports not to confuse analogue modem ports with network ports - the network ones are slightly bigger, if in doubt buy the cable first and see if it fits into a hole on both machines!

So in summary you need,

• One machine connected to the net - done
  • Network card in each machine
  • RJ45 crossover cable, connecting the 2 network cards
  • Enable Windows ICS, this is all software you have (if XP). Friendly wizards and online help will guide you thru the 5 minute process.

Some handy links (these won't be the cheapest, but I'm sure a PC World is probably near you if you need some bits).

RJ45 Crossover cable (3m)
Network Card

You can also forgo the cable completely and use wireless cards, the setup is effectively the same, except software configuration is a little more complicated. Also bear in mind wireless solutions can be more problematic and rarely give the 'quoted' distance range. It's either 2 wireless cards or 2 network cards and a cable, ignore anyone who tells you that you need any sort of fancy 'router' or 'hub', you don't.
N/A

Sorry missed a reply to me and to say thnaks.
Walrus
Grafter

Re: Internet Connection Sharing

Do I have to install Plusnet cd on wifes computer?.

No.

I have disabled Tiny's preinstalled Supernet modem.

This the modem on the wife's PC I assume? That is, the one not directly connected to the net.

no modem found.

Does the internet connection still work from your machine? (I assume it does).

Check your network connection is showing as 'Connected, Shared, Firewalled' on your PC in "Network Connections". On the advanced tab of 'Properties' of this connection, ensure 'Allow other network users to connect....blah blah' and 'Establish a dial-up connection..... blah blah' are on.

The same connection should be on your Wife's PC as '<Connection name> on <MachineName>' showing as 'Connected' when you are connected. Your wife's PC should be set to collect all settings automatically on the network interface.

If in any doubt the easiest way is to follow the wizard "Set up a home or small office network" on your PC, which will also produce a configuration diskette for your Wife's PC.
N/A

Connecting 2 Computers/network

Thanks for reply.
Yes I can get on the internet from my computer.
You have to uninstall the modem on wife's Tiny computer, as it is set up to connect only to their ISP Supernet.
Will follow your instructions and see how they go.
Thanks again.
Norm