cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused .....

AndyMan
Grafter

Confused .....

Have been doing a bit of reading about all this VOIP stuff and Plustalk. (After I had already signed upto Plustalk ... doh )

What advantages does Plustalk offer over other services like Voipcheap , Voipstunt and the like.

From what I can see these offer free UK landline calls , lots of free worldwide destinations and seemingly cheaper mobile calls than Plustalk but with no monthly subscription charge.

So what makes Plustalk better ? and worth a monthly sub ?

Thanks in advance.....
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Confused .....

What advantages does Plustalk offer over other services like Voipcheap , Voipstunt and the like.

From the voipcheap website:
we have limited our Free-Calls policy to 1 minute per call. If you want to enjoy UNLIMITED FREE CALLS to these destinations, you have to become a fully registered user by topping up your account. This credit deposit will stay untouched as long as you are calling the free destinations and remains valid for 120 days after your last purchase (unless stated otherwise).

So doesn't seem especially free to me since you have to credit your account every 120 days...

So what makes Plustalk better ? and worth a monthly sub ?

Plustalk doesn't have a monthly charge unless you want lots of included minutes, etc does it?
AndyMan
Grafter

Confused .....

To get the same service from both ie free UK landline calls at anytime then you would have to sub to plustalk @ 4.99 per month.

I was trying to compare like for like.
AndyMan
Grafter

Confused .....

After lots more reading I realised that voipcheap was better (pound for pound) so have cancelled my sub to plustalk ....
N/A

voipcheap

I registered with voipcheap but did not go as far as lodging £10 with them as their website was not clear about what would happen with the money (there was comment on other websites that the money disappears after 120 days but voipcheap is silent on this point). Also, when I tried the free one minute calls, they did not always connect which seems to suggest it might be unreliable due to congestion. Also, voipcheap mantion an acceptable use policy over excessive free calls but do not explain how it works. On the whole, I thought the voipcheap website left many questions unanswered so I decided not to give them any money.

Let us know how you get on with voipcheap.

It seems to me that for free evening and weekend calls, Plustalk and voipcheap are the same annual cost. You can pay voipcheap 3 x £10 or Plustalk £29.95 annually.
AndyMan
Grafter

Confused .....

I have plustalk till August anyway (signed for 3 months) will compare them side by side. I did get a proper geo number with Voipcheap not the 0845 one offered by plus. What really attracted me to voipcheap is I have friends living in Spain , one of the countries they offer free calls to landlines in.

I agree the , "what happens to the £10 credit after 120 days" is confusing , but with calls to mobiles ,I am sure I will use it anyway.
AndyMan
Grafter

Re: voipcheap

Also, voipcheap mantion an acceptable use policy over excessive free calls but do not explain how it works. .

Just noticed on their site , and I am sure it wasn't there yesterday ... "Max 20hrs per month of free calls. Unused free minutes cannot be taken to the following month(s). " .. so maybe not so good afterall ... Maybe cancelling my plustalk cancellation at this rate ... Cheesy ...