cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer been hacked?

N/A

Computer been hacked?

Hi,

We're on BB and never really shut down our PC. We use Windows Firewall and obviously anti-virus protection.

Since Wednesday, internet on the computer has been really random...we haven't been able to visit Google for ages, but since Weds, Yahoo has become intermittent (giving a DNS error - page cannot be displayed thing) Secure sites seem to work first time, but non-secure sites don't.

We have a wireless network and all other computers on the network work fine - and we can view the non-working sites on the affected PC fine.

We've had a load of pop-ups recently and have been plagued with spyware etc - could this be related?

What can we do to solve the problem - we've basically been robbed of internet access (except for secure sites) on our main PC?!?!

Thanks,
9 REPLIES
N/A

Computer been hacked?

Sounds like spyware malware on your system.

The in built XP firewall, tbh, is not up to much. There are many other free firewall out there which do a much better job.

From the Tutorials and FAQ section see this article.

For info on Wireless network security see this one
N/A

Computer been hacked?

1) run adaware free to download from here : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

2) use sygate personal firewall (and if u want pay 20£ to get pro, it has some nice logging) free to download here : http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

3) use firefox instead of IE, free download from here www.getfirefox.com

4) dont use wireless if you can help it, use wires cos its more secure.
N/A

Re: Computer been hacked?

Hi,
. We use Windows Firewall

That is your first mistake as you are relying on windows firewall which is not up to the job.

The best free firewall is sygate, most novice/basic users stick with ZoneAlarm but Sygate is what you should be using.

Here is the link for sygate http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Free/1030643506/1

As someone has already said, use Firefox or Opera as they are both more secure and fight spyware better then Internet Explorer.

You will want to install the following programs if you dont have them already.

Spyware Blaster http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/SpywareBlaster/1056258294/1

Spybot Search & Destroy - http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1
N/A

Spyware Blaster NOT a good program Ivan

Hello westerlea,

NOP!! I would definately NOT recommend Spyware Blaster to anyone after my own experience of using it. Its utterly aweful and it wont prevent your machine from spyware at all. I tested this program extensively for several months but removed it completely from my machine as it was so useless.

**NOTE: Spyware Blaster can lull users into a faulse sense of security, you think your system is protected this is just NOT true. On numerous occations my machine was compromised by malware and spyware blaster was like a chocolate teapot. DONT INSTALL THIS PROGRAM!! its a waste of time (and I'm not a novice user myself and I am talking from direct experience here!).

**Zone Alarm remains one of the best freeware software firewalls as it uses a powerfull proven technique called stateful packet inspection. If ZA was so rubbish according to some people then how come millions and millions of users relie on it for there PC security.

**How come Stateful Packet Inpsection is a technique thats used extensively by many many ADSL router manufacturers.

**Sygate is NOT for everyone, I looked at the Sygate firewall and didnt like it at all but its a very subjective thing. One persons likes is another's pain,etc. At the end of the day you have to try such a program, test it and then make your own mind up despite what others say IMO.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!

Ivan
N/A

Re: Spyware Blaster NOT a good program Ivan

NOP!! I would definately NOT recommend Spyware Blaster to anyone after my own experience of using it. Its utterly aweful and it wont prevent your machine from spyware at all. I tested this program extensively for several months but removed it completely from my machine as it was so useless.

**NOTE: Spyware Blaster can lull users into a faulse sense of security, you think your system is protected this is just NOT true. On numerous occations my machine was compromised by malware and spyware blaster was like a chocolate teapot. DONT INSTALL THIS PROGRAM!! its a waste of time (and I'm not a novice user myself and I am talking from direct experience here!).

Ivan, I'm sorry but I take real issue with your post about Spyware Blaster.
Spyware blaster is not an active package, therefore you won't get any pop-up boxes etc. Spyware Blaster is primarly designed to prevent dangerous activex controls being installed on your machine and little else. However that doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it's not any good.
Your comments are based on your view of the package, and I feel it is unfair to word your reply in such a way as to make it seem like your the "expert" and that other experienced users are somehow wrong.

Moving on....

The windows firewall is a poor firewall and should be disabled and replaced as soon as possible. As your network is wireless, you should look to engage some of the security features of your router, for example many wireless routers allow you to control which network cards can access the router and to block all others.

As far as firewalls are concerned, there are many free ones e.g Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio and outpost. I guess you need to try them out and see which one you perfer.

If I had to pick a free one, I would probably go for Kerio, but if your willing to pay then go for Sygate Pro.
N/A

Re: Spyware Blaster NOT a good program Ivan

Kerio is a very good firewall, I own Sygate Pro myself but if someone was keen to purchase a firewall then they may want to consider Kerio Pro as it has some useful extra features.

Going back to spywareblaster, it is a very well respected piece of software, anyone who has decent knowledge of Internet Security will know this.

One other point, I never said ZoneAlarm was rubbish, I said it was for basic/novice users and this is one of the reasons it is so popular. I used to use ZoneAlarm when I first started getting interested in PC Security but moved onto Sygate Pro.
N/A

Computer been hacked?

We can each only speak from our own experience - what works well for one person may be a pain for another because of, say, an incompatibility with something else that they have installed. I do not pretend to be an expert, but I manage to keep a clean PC, so I may as well throw in my two-penn'orth.

I use Sygate myself, largely because I find the advanced rules section (available in the free version, not just the paid version) handy. However, if I am setting up a PC for a newbie friend, I usually put Zone Alarm in for them, as they will find it easier to understand. Neither I nor these friends have any problems, so I consider them both to be perfectly adequate firewalls for ordinary use.

I have used Ad-aware and Spybot since I can't remeber when, and quite some time ago added Spyware Blaster. It was noticeable that the number of nasties picked up by Ad-aware and Spybot immediately dropped - because Spyware Blaster stopped those dodgy Active-X ones installing in the first place. Therefore, I consider Spyware Blaster to be a useful addition.
N/A

Replyin Re: Spyware Blaster Ivan

Hi Aaron B.

Firstly I stand by what I said about spyware balster I found it to be a dreadful program and No! it just didnt protect my machine in anyway that I found at all helpful and based on this experience alone I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I never claimed or pretended to be a so called "expert" as you put it I just commented from peronal experience. As for spyware blaster being a respect package not in my book it isnt, sorry!!

**But I agree this is a subjective thing & as someone said in this topic that what works for one person might not for another.

**I just think that both points of view do need to be made clear wheather positive or negative. My experience of SB was pretty negative and I still feel user coud be lulled into a false sense of security with this package. IMO! enough said I think!

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Re: Replyin Re: Spyware Blaster Ivan

Hi Aaron B.
As for spyware blaster being a respect package not in my book it isnt, sorry!!

There is no need to say sorry as you are just giving a opinion, its not like you feel your opinion is always right and other people are wrong......?

I have used Ad-aware and Spybot since I can't remember when, and quite some time ago added Spyware Blaster. It was noticeable that the number of nasties picked up by Ad-aware and Spybot immediately dropped - because Spyware Blaster stopped those dodgy Active-X ones installing in the first place. Therefore, I consider Spyware Blaster to be a useful addition.

Like you Gordon, I find these three programs are essential for any newbie and would say spybot & Ad-aware are essential for any type of pc user.