cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Talk!

Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Hey everyone,
Seeing as PlusNet has created this nice Everything 'Net forum, here's my contribution: www.comp-talk.co.uk. It's a growing site, but I like it. Cheesy I'm hosting it on my FTP space (though the forums are in the CGI space) that comes with my ADSL account.

Have a look around, and tell me what you think, if you please!

Thanks,
Thomas
7 REPLIES
N/A

Computer Talk!

Its not clear when you go on the site were the menu is or am I just a dumb user?
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

When you go to the homepage, there're two links at the top of the screen: Articles and Forums. Hovering your mouse over one of them will bring up a Javacript menu. If it doesn't (for whatever reason), then you can just click on one of the links to take you to the articles or the forums respectively.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Its not clear when you go on the site were the menu is or am I just a dumb user?

Yes I have to agree. the links are not at first obvious until you move your mouse over them.
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Ok, point taken. The thing is, how can I make them more obvious? :?

Thomas
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Just the location is I think the big problem.
people tend to look and have the mouse more central on the screen.
perhaps moving then from the top corner would help.
Also could you use a gif images that moves , changes colour or flashes etc?
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Well, regarding the changing colour, I do have a grey rollover effect for the links already.

Would it be ok if, for instance, I just wrote in the middle screen something like "use the links at the top-right to navigate the site"?

Btw, thanks for your help. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

Computer Talk!

Thomas
I was meaning more of an effect to draw attention to the link before mouseover.
Have a quick look at my model railway site and note the top right hand button where I have tried to draw attention to the link with the moving light.

Additionaly you could put a note in the centre but I think that would spoil the nice layout you have acheived Cheesy [/url]