Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on my website

RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

Hi guys,

Not sure whether this is done in this forum, but I was just wondering whether anybody had any comments (good or bad) to make about my website.

www.robdickson.co.uk

I'm more interested in comments about the layout, and navigiation, than I am about the content itself.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
11 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Comments on my website

Hi Rob
Just had a look at your website while the plumber is taking up the floor.

Navigation is easy and looks well thought out.
The home page though looks more like a page of writing than the Home page of a website.
There's probably too much stuff on there, and it just looks as though you've written it down rather than laid it out - I think it needs less content and more structure.

Had a look at your blog and was going to leave a comment about the woman at the bus stop, but you can't leave comments yet.
Why not add it to the list of blogs in the sticky under General Chat?
RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

Thanks for your comments.

You're right about the homepage. It was written, rather than being laid out.

I haven't got around to coding the ability to add comments yet, but will do so over the next few days. I'll let you know when it's done, so that you can post your comment.

Good luck with the plumber - I hope it's not British Gas.
FireStorm
Grafter

Comments on my website

PHP.. arrgghhh come on people its time to stop scripting and start programing.. ASP.NET is so much better, I am a total convert.
RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

I've just tidied up the homepage a bit, but I realise that it needs a bit more work - perhaps a picture for each section. I can't make my mind up yet.
RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

I've only been using PHP for about 6 months, and MySQL for about a month. I don't think I'm ready to try anything else just yet.
N/A

Comments on my website

The phot pages need the navigation bar on them as there is no way back to the site. Dont assume everyone knows about the back button
FireStorm
Grafter

Comments on my website

It might be an idea to grab a free template too... my Website

http://www.uber-servers.co.uk

It took about 3 months to get that look, in hind site i should have just got a free template.
N/A

Comments on my website

lol,

Ive never been one to be all artistic. Like fir3storm said I use templates for the most part ( or should I say about 5 at once after I have pulled them apart lol ).

I have a large collection now and some flash ones I really do like.

Templates is sometimes an easy way to go, but you often have to look long and hard for that look you want. Not to mention you stand the chance of looking the same as someone else.
FireStorm
Grafter

Comments on my website

Fortunatly i have developed my own style now, Its a great idea to look through pc mags and look at the adverts, most things live in pretty boxs and most effects can be reproduced through Fireworks or if u fancy trying pro software nothing beats photoshop.

If you need any help there are lods of peeps on the forums that will help.. and most things on a web can be done

I can deffo help with graphics, not with the PHP though i simply refuse :-D
RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

Thanks for the comments guys.

Photo albums: Good point. I haven't done much with them recently, because I will probably be moving them to my Yahoo Photo Album, or Flicker.

Blog: Will probably be programming (sorry, it's PHP - scripting) the ability to leave comments today.

Templates: As you can tell from my website, I'm not particulary artistic either. In fact, it's only in the last 2 months that I've used anything apart from the browser's default colours. I'm going to try to avoid using anybody else's templates, since I'm really developing my website to learn about web design, so want to do it myself.

A diving mate of mine commented that my site was the opposite of most sites that he sees on the web. Most sites he looks at have lots of flashy graphics, look very good, but have absolutely no content. He pointed out that mine has lots of content, but looks quite bland. That's when I started using CSS about 2 months ago.

Thanks again for your advice, it's appreciated.
RobDickson
Grafter

Comments on my website

You can leave comments on the blog now.