Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on IE-SPYAD please

wanderyonder
Grafter

Hi all

Does anybody here have any experiences of using IE-SPYAD from https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm ? This says that it adds a long list of potentially malicious sites and domains to the Restricted Zone of Internet Explorer, thus limiting the damage they could do. It claims that it gathers a larger list than the likes of SpywareBlaster or SpyBot S&D.

Its just that, as this software appears to be someone's spare-time project, I'd like to be confident that this is safe and works well before I use it myself.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Not sure if you're still looking for a response on this, dawsongoodey.

I've used IE-Spyad myself several times (it's recommended that you update the list of 'dodgy' sites that it places into your 'hosts' file every so often).

It has a very good reputation indeed, as it is part of the sterling security work done over the years by Ed Howes; for many people, just seeing his name attached to a project, is enough said (I happen to think that his recent series of tests on Antispyware applications, led to a huge surge of interest in Giant A-S, although we won't blame him for Micro$oft purchasing Giant soon after!).

In all honesty, I personally get a little lazy about keeping up to date with IE-Spyad, but I do value it as part of my layered security approach (I also use Spywareblaster & Spywareguard, GIANT, and various other apps).

HTH.
wanderyonder
Grafter

Thanks kwesi01

That's reassuring. Its good to be able to call on better internet knowledge than mine on these forums.
pcorker
Grafter

I use it all the time as it is not obtrusive and free!
Seems to work fine and when I run adaware there is usually nothing there.
I run it straight from the site. It updates it's folder in C: and then I navigate there, double click install.bat and follow the prompts. Slightly tedious but only takes about 30 seconds.
Pat.
N/A

Thanks, pcorker!

I think that I'll try that update method (which I've probably been too lazy to read up on Smiley !).