cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting email via mobile

N/A

Hi,

I have a Nokia 6600 and want to create a mailbox so I can send and receive email whilst I'm out and about.

However, i can't get it to work - the plusnet servers keep asking for my password.
If I go to the Nokia site they have a wizard which asks you to enter various details and then sends you an email. if someone has this working, could they confirm what I'm entering is correct?

ISP: Force9 (PlusNet isn't listed but Force9 are the same thing, going by the DNS tag)
Force9 Login username: <my username I use to login to the PlusNet portal with>
Force9 login passwod: <password for above>
Force9 email address: mobile@username.plus.com
Email username: username+mobile
Password: <password for mailbox>

And that's it. But when I connect, I get a challenge asking for my username (defaulting to the mailbox username of username+mobile and the password.

Any ideas?

thanks

Moderators note (John) Topic moved from Ideas and suggestions to a more apt section of the forum
8 REPLIES
N/A

Force9 and PlusNet are different.

Username rpwoodman on Force9 and PlusNet can be two different customers.

As such, you need to be using the correct server details, so that the correct useranme is used. This is the cause of the failure.

Is there no custom option where you can type the server details manualy?
N/A

Thanks for the quick response Philip.

There isn't anything to put the settings in manually - I guess it's to try and stop them having loads of repeat questions because someone has made a typo etc. But I can edit the settings on the phone itself once they've been transferred down, so I guess I can go through them and change them to whatever I need.
I've not seen any documentation for the relevent settings on the portal anywhere (maybe that should be an FAQ?) - do you know what they are by any chance?

thanks v much
N/A

The only changes needed are

incoming server : mail.plus.net
outgoign server : relay.plus.net

However, relay.plus.net will only work if you are connected to the PlusNet network via dialup or ADSL.
Community Veteran

... which means you'll need to set your phone to dial-up using 0870 7063000. Either that, or connect using GPRS or whathaveyou and use Nokia's SMTP server.

Thomas
N/A

Does that mean that I can't send email via my Plusnet account, or that I have to have created a dialup account on the phone which connects to the Plusnet servers first, and then use that as the connection when I want to do email?

Thanks
N/A

Marvellous, thanks very much Thomas.

I've not seen the Nokia GPRS connection details anywhere. Can you point me to them ifyou have them handy?
If you don't have them handy, don't worry, I'll have a hunt around the Nokia site - I just find it tricky to find anything - keep getting dead links!

thanks v much

PS: In all this excitement, my phone is nearly out of batteries so I'm going to have to wait for it to charge up again! Cheesy
N/A

if you need the setting for gprs you could allway call your mobile provider and get them to send them out to you i do it all of the time for customers as i work for orange
N/A

Thanks Gareth,

All done and dusted now - works like a good un. Apart from when people have massive note trailers saying that they're not responsible for anything they say etc.. :-)

rgds