cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap VOIP call providers

The_10th
Grafter

Anyone use the likes of "1899.com" etc for cheap peak time uk/worldwide calls and how do they fare for price/quality and customer service?

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Cheap VOIP call providers

Anyone use the likes of "1899.com" etc for cheap peak time uk/worldwide calls and how do they fare for price/quality and customer service?

Thanks in advance.

Yes have used them and the other two (18185.co.uk and 18866.co.uk).

All three are owned by the same Swiss based comapany. Unfortunately charges have gone up in the last 6 months to a connection cahrge of 5p then unlimited free time for UK calls - still a lot cheaper than BT.
Charges for overseas still very good value but need to choose which one of the three to use as charges do vary between them even though run by the same company.
Personally I tend to use 18185 for all my UK calls and mobile calls. Defintely one of the cheapest for daytime mobile calls (6p a minute + a 5 p connection charge).
Have used them for a while now and my overall phone charges have dropped significantly compared to using just BT.

Everything is done on line and I have had no problems with billing and charges. Everything has always been exactly correct. Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

/tffive

What about call quality? Is it any different to BT call quality or are you and the called party aware that it is a VOIP call?
N/A

Call quality is perfect, newver had any problems and have been using for nearly two years now. It is no different to calls using BT.

Are you sure the calls are all VOIP? As far as I know they are routed through various landline networks, not necessarily BT (Energis and otheres etc.). Think if it was all VOIP you would tell with the line quality?
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks for your reply and clearing that up! Yes they must bulk buy capacity at preferential rates. Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Just a thought but can you use the 18866 etc services on Plusnet phone and T@lk T@lk to think of it?
N/A

This is a problem I discovered. Appears that it is only if your line rental is still paid to BT that you can still use the likes of 18866, 18185 etc.

Have asked most of the other providers who say they do not allows it.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We do allow the uses of 18866.co.uk and other similar providers. As far as I can see they should work on any WLR provider, it is only if the call provider themselves use a dial code, or if the phone line service is LLU where you should have any issues. Whether that provider has a policy of not allowing those calls is a different question.

In terms of costs we match 18866 for fixed line calls and 0845 calls for evenings and weekends, and are cheaper for mobiles and 0870 calls during evenings and weekends. In addition with our services you can use VOIP and the landline at the same time, and can control almost all features on your account through the member centre.
N/A

Hi Mand agree some of Plusnets costs are a little cheaper than the likes of 18866.com and similar for some calls.

I am happy to mix and match between BT for cheap evening and weekend calls and 18185.co.uk for all my daytime calls. They cannot be beaten by you or any other provider at present as far as I know? All calls (day or night) to landline numbers are free for as long as you like but with a 5p connection charge. Mobiles in the day are only 6p a minute plus the 5p connection charge. Again do not know anyone cheaper at present. International calls are really cheap. Australia for instance is currently 1p a minute plus the 5p connection charge.

Its all a question of how much you use your phone and what type of calls are made that matters in deciding who is best to use. Also need to discipline yourself and (family!) to use the CPS pre-dialler access numbers as well.

PlusNets £15 a month for all calls included to landline and some overseas numbers looks very good value if you make a lot of short calls (the 5p connection charge soon adds up!). If you allow the use of 18185.co.uk and the like for mobiles it may be worth me thinking of swopping over sometime Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks for answering Mand and ttfive. Smiley

Seems like this needs clarification.

I see that the cheap call charges apply to BT landlines but what if you transfer to PN phone service - is that still classed as a BT landline and so get the cheap calls?

I understand that being able to use the 'cheap' calls via 18185 is down to the routing provider but would you be able to provide a guarantee that it will work for me via the PN phone service should I sign up?

Also Mand, you mentioned that LLU could cause problems but as I am not 'unbundled' at present(a painful process I hear Wink ),if I became so (not that I want it) would be a cause for concern if I wouldn't be able to make calls via the 18185 prefix. Cry

The pricing doesn't include caller display (free for BT residential under the BT privacy umbrella) but is there any plan to waive this as would be the most sought after 'paid' service I imagine (as free with BT)?

18185 charges are (p/min): (subject to 5p conn fee):

UK fixed 0.0
UK mobiles (sat/sun) 2
UK mobiles (weekdays) 6
0845 (sat/sun) 0.5
0845 (weekdays 6pm/6am) 0.5
0845 (weekdays 6am/6pm) 3
0870 (sat/sun) 2
0870 (weekdays 6pm/6am) 4
0870 (weekdays 6am/6pm) 6
070 Personal 2
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Whilst I can't guarantee that it will work (never having used the service) 18185 services are available via non BT lines, as detailed here, so you shouldn't have any problems with us.

When I talked about LLU I was referring to PSTN lines which had been fully unbundled (like Bulldog, TalkTalk etc) and not a BTW landline with broadband LLU services. Apologies for any confusion there.

Caller display is something which crops up a lot, I'll have a word with the product team and see if we can get any progress on this.

As the previous poster said, the cheapest solution would probably be the Anytime+ phone service, with 18185 being used for daytime mobiles and any international calls outside the allocated allowance.
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Mand Smiley

From non-BT landlines just dial 0808 1 703 703 - would Plus phone service class as non-BT landline as it won't be unbundled and therefore dial this?
I obviously don't want to have to dial two full telephone numbers to call one person if you catch my drift?

The deals look good but I know there isn't a huge gap in pricing but every little helps so the 18185 would be attractive as well as caller display -FREE if you stay for 12 months or free after 12 months - good idea? Smiley