cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught out Newbie :o(

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I upgraded from 1 to 3 GB recently as well as doubling the speed of my connection so I thought it safe to download some video clips for my daughter.

I searched around for a while til I found one that claimed to have no adware etc with it ,and ended up downloading 'Limetree' (or at least I think it was - it's now deleted!)

Compared to an average usage of around 60MB per day, yesterday it was 697MB and I know we didn't download that much. It took me a while to spot it, but I eventually realised it was uploading too - what on earth was it taking from my computer?
There are a few large video files on it - Massacre of Glencoe Video is 649MB and a couple of other work ones (Geology & Nature of Glencoe) are probably about 1000MB between them - could it have been uploading video files from my PC... and if so why, and if not, what else??

I've run Adaware, SpyBot etc., and think I've fully deleted the program too. Should I learn my lesson from this and forget it or is there a safe way to download film clips & music videos?

Thanks for any help.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Perhaps you mean 'LimeWire'?

The safest way to download video and audio clips is to download them from a site that you trust (e.g. BBC, Launch.com etc) using a web-browser.

If you want to dabble in the world of P2P software (e.g. Limewire), then you'll need to brush up on your internet security. P2P software will usually, by default, set your My Downloads (or similar) folder to be shared to other P2P users, who will then be able to download stuff from your PC to theirs. Hence the uploading you noticed yesterday.

If you've only got a 3GB monthly limit, I would suggest you be very careful using P2P software or you'll rapidly exceed your limits!
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

LimeWire... that was it! :lol:

It's deleted now anyway but it just shows you how easy it is to get caught out, well for me anyway Shockedops:

Why didn't my Firewall stop it sending stuff out? Was that because it did it through Internet Explorer which has 'clearance'?

Now I know what P2P is too. Always learning!
N/A

Why didn't my Firewall stop it sending stuff out?

It really depends on what firewalls you've got and how they are setup. What firewall or firewalls are you using?

Aaron
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Its a file Sharing program, so it uploads any files that you download with it. So if you plan on using simmilar programs then you will need to upgrade to Premier, as 5gig a month on the maximum capped account won't be enough
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

It really depends on what firewalls you've got and how they are setup. What firewall or firewalls are you using?

Aaron

McAfee is my Firewall now, because I had to delete the Norton one I bought when I downloaded SP2 (for XP), but I've looked at the list that McAfee logs of allowed access programs and it isn't listed there - although might that be because I've deleted it? Or because it accessed via Internet Explorer?

For all that it was 'stealing' things off my hard drive - that may have been down to ignorance on my part as to what P2P actually was and what it did - but it did have a huge list of stuff to download - is there a safer alternative anyone can recommend?
N/A

If you want a safer method of P2P, use bit torrent, since it only downloads and uploads the bit torrent you have requested, nothing else.

Did you enable access for the P2P program within mcafee?

Aaron
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Not knowingly no, that's why I wondered if it did it all via Internet Explorer?

What's bit torrent?
N/A

I don't know enough about that P2P program to answer that question, but the easiest way to find out, would be to review the applications lists as having internet access within your firewall.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Re: Caught out Newbie :o(

I upgraded from 1 to 3 GB recently

Wow where can I get a 3 Gig connection Wink
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Re: Caught out Newbie :o(

I upgraded from 1 to 3 GB recently

Wow where can I get a 3 Gig connection Wink

Very good John Shockedops: that would be download limit not (unfortunately) speed of connection..... but then you knew that Cheesy ... but imagine if that was the speed - probably one day though!
N/A

Aaron

McAfee is my Firewall now, because I had to delete the Norton one I bought when I downloaded SP2 (for XP), but I've looked at the list that McAfee logs of allowed access programs and it isn't listed there - although might that be because I've deleted it? Or because it accessed via Internet Explorer?

For all that it was 'stealing' things off my hard drive - that may have been down to ignorance on my part as to what P2P actually was and what it did - but it did have a huge list of stuff to download - is there a safer alternative anyone can recommend?

It's easy to be caught out by these programmes!

However... most P2P programmes will allow you to select which folder (and thus which files) you make accessible to other users. So you might, for example, want to create a folder called "uploads" and limit P2P access to this folder only - that way you can control exactly what files are available.

If you decide you don't want to share any files then usually that's fine too. Simply remove all files from the "uploads" directory and your P2P programme will have nothing to offer other users - you will still be able to download, but there will be no data traffic in the opposite direction.

Occasionally you will come across a user from whom you wish to download who will object to you not sharing any files (it's polite to offer something back, after all!) but that's been v. rare in my experience.

As you have found out, there's a wealth of stuff available via P2P, and with a few simple adjustments you can download to your heart's content without worrying about exceeding your data limits without realising.