cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant make outbound calls

N/A

Cant make outbound calls

I'm using the linksys pap2t and I've been unable to make outbound calls for the last 1-2 weeks, when I dial a number there is a long silence and nothing happens.

if I log into x-lite, its making outbound calls fine.

I can receive calls ok, it's just outbound calls I cant make.

Anyone any ideas?
52 REPLIES
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cant make outbound calls

Following an optimistic posting I posted to another string implying problems with PlusTalk were clearing, I haven't been able to obtain a connection at all....including to the echo-test!

I looked at Voipfone this morning and like what I saw....UK calls 1.1p inc vat and charged per second, help in setting up common adapters, including my ATA 1100!

My e-mails out are still not 100% reliable, so I'm wonderirng how much longer I should remain calm.....and a PlusNet user!

What do you people think?

Any opinions on alternatives?
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

I never use plusnet email I have my own, and on the internet side of things I never have any problems with plusnet.

The phone however is a totally different things, it's been unreliable since the day I got it. whats the point in having a phone when you cant make an outbound call.

I'd change to a different provider but I've already had business cards printed with my telephone number on them.
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

I've got the same problem as littlened - Shortly after Plusnet sorted out my Plustalk billing period and 240 free minutes problem, my chances of successfully making a call on Plustalk began to diminish in the last fortnight and are now precisely zero. I didn't change any settings in my ATA.

I've been checking regularly to see if the problem's fixed but alas, all I get is a long silence (30-40s) and then beeping. Occasionally one of these attempts shows up on my bill as a 2 second call... I can't even dial 7000 for the echo test.

What is going on with Plustalk? Is it being quietly swept under the carpet now that Plusnet have their home phone service? Have some of the Plustalk settings been changed without any announcement?

I'd like to keep PlusTalk - the 240 free minutes is a good deal for me as I don't use the phone enough to warrant splashing out on a 1000 minutes a month package from anyone else.

Richard L
fotobits
Rising Star

Cant make outbound calls

As a matter of interest, on another string the following echo-test have been tried.......

Free World Dial **393613 and
Voipfone **867152

I get excellent results with the above but unreliable responses from 7000 and from attempts to dial a BT landline number.

I'm sure we can be certain that the fault is not in our settings or equipment.

I do feel that we are at least due an explanation from PlusNet.

Regards........Noel
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

My ATA (Zoom 5800) has an issue with dialling **. It can't seem to do it but I've contacted the mfr's tech support about it so hopefully should have a solution soon.

As far as other testing goes, I can set up VoipUser and Sipgate quickly and easily on my ATA and dial their respective test numbers and BT numbers without any problem whatsoever, so I believe I can rule out my hardware. It is only PlusTalk that gives me problems - despite my ATA saying it is 'ready to make calls' on PlusTalk.

Richard L
fotobits
Rising Star

Cant make outbound calls

My ATA (Zoom 5800) has an issue with dialling **. It can't seem to do it but I've contacted the mfr's tech support about it so hopefully should have a solution soon.

Have you checked your Dial Plan, Richard? Perhaps it doesn't contain a format for "**" dialling.

For info re Dialling Plans, see :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-318404.html

and other web-based info.

My "**" definition in the Dial Plan is "**x."

This means accept a number containing two stars and six or more digits.

I'm very suprised you can dial BT landline numbers without any problem. You're the first I've heard of and it compounds the mystery!

Regards........Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

Cant make outbound calls

Sorry Richard, six crosses in the Dial Plan!

Regards...Noel
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

Thanks for the info on the dial plans, I shall try modifying mine shortly.

I think I might have confused you wrt calling BT numbers:

I was referring to calling BT numbers using Voipuser or Sipgate, NOT on PlusTalk. PlusTalk's still totally dead in the water for me.

NEWSFLASH!

Just discovered the PlusNet User Group and found a nugget of information that's enabled me to get PlusTalk up and running very quickly (echo test and calls to BT lines tested so far). Fingers crossed that it holds up!

Replace all references to sip.plus.net in your ATA with the IP 84.92.0.76 and hey presto, PlusTalk should work!

PlusTalk's SIP address 'sip.plus.net' has three servers on separate IP addresses:

.76 seems to be the only one I can successfully use.

Richard
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

Richard, you get my "Posting of the Week Award" :lol:

84.92.0.76 is the only one that seems to work for me as well

Thanks!
fotobits
Rising Star

Cant make outbound calls

Thanks, Richard, I've substituted 84.92.0.76 for sip.plus.net in my ATA's menu and find it's the only one that works, for me too.

The result is I get an immediate response to the 7000 echo-test, however, I haven't succeeded in making a BT landline call, as yet.

You obviously have. Are you able to make BT calls reliably now?

Regards.......Noel
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

You obviously have. Are you able to make BT calls reliably now?

Well, I've managed to make 2 short-ish calls in the space of a few hours - more than I've managed to make in the last week on PlusTalk.

Richard
davebrown
Grafter

Cant make outbound calls

Hi thanks,
Great information, 84.92.0.76 is now working for me.
Looks like a DNS problem at PlusNet’s end, not able to resolve sip.plus.net to a IP address.

Lets see if it keeps on working !

It’s not good having to depend on a forum to resolve problems, still no answer to my ticket from PlusNet Sad

Dave
davebrown
Grafter

Cant make outbound calls

I was checked the 84.92.0.76 out again, I don’t think it’s DNS as when I try and ping, it does find the ip address of 84.92.0.76.
When I do a tracert I get the following results, as you can see it does resolve the name to a it address.

Routing problem perhaps or firewall Huh?

Dave

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>ping sip.plus.net

Pinging sip.plus.net [84.92.0.76] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 84.92.0.76:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>tracert sip.plus.net

Tracing route to sip.plus.net [84.92.0.76]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 24 ms 22 ms 21 ms lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.72]
3 20 ms 21 ms 20 ms ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw1.plus.net [84.92.4.89]
4 21 ms 20 ms 20 ms ge1-0-0-23.ptn-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.18]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
N/A

Cant make outbound calls

Many Thanks,
I changed 'sip.plus.net' to '84.92.0.76' and the '7000'Echo Call now works and I can also make calls to BT lines. At least for the moment.
Fred