cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant logon to FTP server

N/A

Cant logon to FTP server

Hi

Having trouble connecting to plusnets ftp server today, to upload to my webspace. This is the first time i've tried since signing up. I've got the username and passwords configured correctly, and my firewall isnt blocking anything, but I cant connect. Have tried using ACEftp and CuteFTP but same results with both - neither will connect. Everything else on the web is running fine. Is there a problem with the server at the moment? Or am i missing something simple out?

cheers

Mark
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cant logon to FTP server

working here, so any error logs, eg username / password invalid
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Cant logon to FTP server

Hi

Well it looks like the problems with me then. Whcih username should i be using, the portal one or the one for connecting to ADSL? I've tried both and cant get connected with either. theres no error logs, it just says failed to connect (it tries 3 times then gives up). I can ping the server ok.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cant logon to FTP server

check the ftp client and enable logging of faults, most good ones do it by default.

As for the username its markfarrow you use not markfarrow@ plus.net
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Cant logon to FTP server

Hi

i've got connected now, it wasnt a username and passowrd problem but a server address problem. I was using ftp.plus.net as suggested on plusnets settings page, but I checked in the suppport section and found an alternative - ftp-proxy.plus.net which seems to work ok. Will I run into any future problems using this server instead of the other?

thanks for the help

Mark
Community Veteran

Cant logon to FTP server

ftp.plus.net and ftp-proxy.plus.net are one and the same now (they used to be different but both point to the same address I am told) so there should not have been any problems using either.

If it is definate that ftp-proxy.plus.net is the only one that works, raise a contact us ticket and ask why the proxy one works but the standard one does not and say you have been told they are both the same.

One of the support guys may pick this thread up because there was a lot of discussion about this subject recently.
N/A

Cant logon to FTP server

ok i'll raise a ticket. It definately was the case earlier that only the proxy address worked, i'll try again now then raise the ticket if needed.

Thanks

Mark
drw
Grafter

Cant logon to FTP server

I am just uploading to my web space and I was getting time outs when ftping via ftp.plus.net but when ftping to
ftp-proxy.plus.net the service is appearing to work withour timeouts
csogilvie
Grafter

Cant logon to FTP server

Thats really odd, since both ftp.plus.net and ftp-proxy.plus.net are the same machine now. :?
drw
Grafter

Cant logon to FTP server

Odd as it may be - that is what I experienced - however once I was on via the ftp-proxy address the upload was very rapid - far faster than I ever experienced as a BTOW customer over the last few years.

A pity that the help desk are not aware of thie ftp-proxy issue.
csogilvie
Grafter

Cant logon to FTP server

What ftp-proxy issue? The fact its been decomissioned?
drw
Grafter

Cant logon to FTP server

Using ftp-proxy.plu.net - no time outs, using ftp.plus.net - terrible timeouts and no sensible up load achieved
N/A

Cant logon to FTP server

In which case, it must have been a network issues at the second you used the ftp.plus.net address.

ftp.plus.net
Record type = A
Value = 212.159.9.131

ftp-proxy.plus.net
Record type = CNAME
Value = ftp.plus.net

ftp-proxy.plus.net physicaly points to the same machine and same port. FTP server can't tell the differance between the hostnames you use, so that leaves only a network error the cause.