cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find site hosted on PC with IIS

willow147
Grafter

I'm trying to set up a test web server on my pc (connected with a static IP using a USB modem so no routers are involved).

The site works locally but when I try to access it from a friends machine it cannot be found (accessed using the form of http://1.2.3.4/sitename/page.php - and yes, php, MySql are installed and running fine)

I have tried changing the port IIS uses to 81 but this doesn't seem to work.

I turned of my firewall as well (although I think the XP was was still running)

Anyone have any ideas.

Please don't ask why I'm using IIS, it was just quick and easy to set up the site and make quick changes - once finished I will use my +net webspace.
6 REPLIES
N/A

If you have set IIS up correctly you should only need to connect via http://1.2.1.3

you should need the rest
N/A

c:\wwwroot

is where the site is located localy if you wanted to know that as well Wink

and u should run apache :p
willow147
Grafter

The site is working perfectly OK when accessed on the same machine as that hosting the site (i.e my only machine).

It's just the outside world can't see it.

I assume the IP assined to me by plusnet is the one I should use in my url (i.e. the 1.2.1.3 in my first example)
N/A

When you say "cannot be found," what do you mean? Does it timeout? (Probably your firewall.) Does it say "404 Not Found"? (A typo in your URL.) "Access denied"? (IIS is configured to only serve to machines on your local network.)

--> Stephen
willow147
Grafter

I'm told the error my friend is getting is

"Page cannot be found

Cannot find server or DNS error"

I've installed Apache (disabled IIS) and get the same error.

Any ideas?

I'm currently connecting via a Speedtouch 330 but have ordered a netgear DG834g router, hopefully this might alter something.
willow147
Grafter

All sorted now, I got myself a Netgear DG834g router, did some port forwarding for the web server and everything seems to work now