cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have just an IP?

N/A

Can you have just an IP?

As i venture towards the end of my Network+ book i discover more to ask here Cheesy

When it comes to your public IP what can PN do about the host name?

Some people have xx.xxx.xxx.xxx dot.blah.com and some people have just the IP. If these people are behind a Proxy then how does the host resolution work out?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

how do you mean behind a proxy? if they are connecting via a proxy the host name will be resolved to that proxy ip/host, if its just some of the traffic that is proxied then it can be possible to find out the real host via other methods
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

Hi there,
PlusNet have a number of options when it comes to the reverse DNS of your public IP.

follow the help -> contact us wizard and the information will be found there.
(The path is: Help & Support -> Contact us -> New Query -> Technical Support -> Static IPs, IP Block Requests and Reverse DNS Setup -> Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration)

The Options are:

Alternative Reverse DNS options

The available rDNS configurations are:

username.plus.com (Default setting)

your_static_ip.plus.com (ie 212_159_0_2.plus.com)

any_host_name.domain.co.uk*
domain.co.uk*

hope this helps!
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

ps, the above is only for a static ip address.
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

thread derail : dark you didnt respond to my pm

he also didnt specify if he was talkin about plusnet stuff
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

Thanks for the replies guy's. I was talking generically but as it happens i have done a reverse for myself

I was just wondering why some IP's don't have a host name attached to them....
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

some companies // isps dont offer rDNS, infact it seems quite rare if looking at all the home user isps. This means that most IPs in the wild will not resolve to a dns but just to them selves.
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

Buzzons:
when you say just themselves you mean they rely on an internal DNS opposed to one at their ISP?
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

nope, you dont need a dns assingned to you, you just need an ip, the DNS is just an added niceity, but everything will work jsut find if you only have ips
N/A

Can you have just an IP?

I see. So could you remove the host name altogether should you wish?