cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can voip be used to dial out using a modem?

N/A

I have a ZyXel Prestige 2000 voip router. It all seems to work fine. I can plug in a phone and make calls. However, I also want to connect a modem and dial-in to someone. This calls (you can hear it dialling etc) but does not make a connection. It obviously does if I connect the modem to a standard BT line rather than the voip line. Is this possible to do this, or does voip somehow mess up the modem signals? Is there anyway to achieve this?
4 REPLIES
dgp
Grafter

I use my PC's internal modem to send faxes over VOIP using my PAP2 without any problems. If I plug in a phone I need to use a UK to USA adaptor, using the modem I need to use a fully wired RJ11 to RJ11 cable without an adaptor. If I use an RJ11 to UK plug cable, then I need to use the UK to USA adaptor. I don't know how your VOIP router works, but it might be something to do with the modem cable.

Regards

Dave
N/A

Interesting. I have a cable that ends in a UK "BT" style plug. That is connected to the router is via a small connector cable supplied with the router. It's a UK "BT" style female socket to a smaller square socket (I assume US style?). That then connects to the router. The odd thing is that if I dial a real number then it rings and I hear "pips" down the line.

Thanks for the additional avenue to try.
dgp
Grafter

I'm not sure of the reason, but you'll probably find it elsewhere. UK phones have their wires connected differently to the US ones, so not everything works as you expect. The small connector cable is likely to be a UK to US converter as the small square socket on your router is the same as that on my PAP2 i.e it's compatible with US wiring. Sometimes however these convertors aren't fully wired, again don't know reason, but I remember when I was trying to sort out my PAP2 finding out that not all convertors were the same. My convertors are Belkin ones, and I bought these because they were recommended.
N/A

Still not working

I have tried a new cable (Belkin High Speed Internet ADSL/Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 4.5m).

I still get a "Error 676: The phone line is busy". If I plug it into the normal bt line. it connects. If I dial using the router to a non-modme number (e.g. my mobile) it call, rings, I answer and hear "pips" down the line. I assume it is trying to handshake. I would assume the same is happening when it calls the remote modem. Why would is say the line is busy. I have also tried calling from a different pc, but that is the same.