cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can incoming mail be sorted by domain in Outlook Express?

N/A

Since my wife changed jobs she receives a lot of work emails at home which all come from the same domain (*.nhs.uk) but from a very large number of different people. I can't seem to find an option in Outlook Express message rules that allows me to sort these messages into a seperate folder on the basis of the domain name.

Is it possible? is there any other solution that enables us to sort them out from our normal emails?

regards
Malcolm
4 REPLIES
N/A

Yep. Should be possibly using message rules.

Create a new folder, then create a new rule to move messages from *.nhs.uk to that folder.

It'd definitely possibly in outlook 2003.
N/A

Thanks Marouf for your reply -
unfortunately I had been trying to do just that, but Outlook Express seems to be treating the * as a character and not as a wild card - or maybe I've been doing something wrong

regards

Malcolm
Community Veteran

Yes using the rules. I have done something similar recently.

First create a new folder to put the emails in under your inbox then Select Tools -> Message Rules -> mail

Then create a new rule using the selection tick boxes so it looks something like this:

where the to or CC line contains <email address here>
or the message is from <email account name here> account
Move it to the <folder name here> folder

<email address here> will be the email address you want to move to a new folder - you can omit this if it is only one email address.
<email account name here> is the name of the account you use to retrieve the emails.
<folder name here> is the new folder you have just created where the emails will be put.

Just replace the < > sections with the necessary info by clicking on the blue underlined sections created when you tick the necessary rule selection boxes.

You can then apply the rule to your inbox (tick the rule and click apply now) and all email for your wife should then be moved to the new folder you created.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks for your help I've got it working now.

Having gone through the process again, step by step, I've realised that the mistake I had been making was to try and use an asterisk as a wildcard so I had entered *.nhs.uk in the <where the from line contains people> section and instead I found that simply entering .nhs.uk resulted in the sorting that I had intended.

Thanks again

Malcolm