cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still use my old email accounts?

flicker
Grafter

Hi, sorry if this isn't the right place for this question, but can someone point me toward the right place. I have just got signed up with 1MB ADSL today. All my old email accounts are with another isp, running through Outlook Express 6. If I press send/receive, I can receive emails still, but can't send any, because they are still set to my old isp as outgoing mail server. I altered one to relay.plus.net as an experiment, but it won't work, getting error message -
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxxxxxx@xxxxxnet'. Subject 'test', Account: 'xx.', Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.net>... Relaying denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Does this mean I can't use my old addresses and will have to inform all my contacts and set up new ones with PlusNet? :?:
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

That account is using mail.onetel.net.uk not relay.plus.net to send emails. That is why you can't send.

You can send emails using your old email addresses, you just need to change all your accounts in OE to use relat.plus.net as the SMTP server instead of what they are currently set to.
Community Veteran

OE to use relat.plus.net as the SMTP server instead

for "relat" above read relay Wink
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy replies, but that's what I don't get - I have changed it to relay.plus.net, it clearly says that in the accounts/properties/servers Outgoing mail SMTP - but when the message comes up, it does of course say its still set to OneTel. I am very confused to say the least! I must be doing something wrong! Help! Shockedops: :?
flicker
Grafter

Okay, I think I worked out what was wrong

I'll be back if it doesn't work, but looks promising. (I changed one of my email addresses to plus net, then was trying to send a test to myself using one that I hadn't altered ....doh!)

Shockedops: Cheesy