cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I purchase a .com and have it pointing to plusnet?

gregd
Grafter

This may be a done to death topic but oh well here we go...

Can i buy a .com domain and then point it to my plusnet webspace? If yes how should I go about it? Who are the cheapest/best people to register with? Will I have to pay plusnet any extra costs for the DNS and sorting it all out etc.

Cheers
13 REPLIES
N/A

You can either purchase a domain through PlusNet themselves, which is very expensive because they go through the very best registrars. Or, you could purchase it from another site and then transfer it in.

I personally bought mine from GoDaddy.com for about £5.50/year. All I had to do then was wait for the 60 day security period, then change the Nameservers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net and finally transfer it in by raising a Contact Us ticket.
gregd
Grafter

You had to wait 60days before transfering though?

Also this seems to be an american site due to everything being in $... is that ok or should i be going for a uk registrar
N/A

Yeah, I seem to remember waiting 60 days.

I used them on a British credit card, British address, etc. Makes no difference. However, if you prefer I'm sure you could find a UK based registrar offering similar prices.
gregd
Grafter

Well i thought maybe easyspace.co.uk

But im wondering if i have to pay to change the name server to the plus.net ones...

"An invoice is created if this is a new service only. If it is a new order, click on "Click here to complete your order" and select to pay by credit card or cheque.
If you already have the Name Server Configuration service, log in to the shop and click the Name Server Transfer tab at the top right and amend the name servers as above."
N/A

It would appear so: on this page it says:
Allow name server configuration / transfer: ?14.99
?7.50 (.com,.net,.org,.info)

Much better Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

You probably need to retype it as the € does actually work Smiley

You could use www.123-reg.co.uk - I believe they do .com registration and allow you free domain control Smiley
N/A

don't use easyspace - they're a pain

i've had my easyspace domain transferred in to plusnet

try uk2.net
gregd
Grafter

I think 123 is better to be honest because I only want 1 domain or maybe 2 domains not 10 Smiley

Thanks for all your suggestions however
painswck
Grafter

Hi Greg,

I have used 123 and the control you get for your domains does allow this.
I have one domain that redirects to my PlusNet webspace. I have another that I have the dns servers with a US hosting company I use. For admin and billing purposes the domains remain with 123.

Hope this helps

Roland
N/A

Hi

I will add another vote 123-reg....... you get web redirection (it remains with 123-reg) and you can set up meta data on the frame page and sumit it for free to 10 search enginges. and there are no pop ups or anouying frame content.

I dont work for them, just a happy customer.

Tongue Chris Cheesy
N/A

Frame redirection. A sure fire way to get your website hated by search-engines.
N/A

HI

I can quit see the point , my brother has a site redirected by another (cheap and nasty) supplier af domains.... the frame is masking his site from the search engines ...the meta data is grose... 250 keywords advertising themselves, and an active frame selling web sites. (and pop ups as well, they should be paying him).

He doesn't get any visitors, and no one can find him on any of the browsers!!
I told him to move on.. but he is hosted by Virgin and they only host redirected domains I beleive.

I will update this forum when I have enough data to see what is the effect of 123 's frames. (my previous point was that you have control of the meta data and frame page title etc).

:? Chris :?
N/A

I think 123 is better to be honest because I only want 1 domain or maybe 2 domains not 10 Smiley

Thanks for all your suggestions however

the 10 domain thing is just some promotional thing - you don't have to buy 10 lol