cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID from PSTN calls through Zyxel P2602-HWL

churtonst31
Grafter

I've got my PSTN line fed through my Zyxel P2602-HWL so that I can make and receive PSTN and VOIP calls from one handset.

When PSTN calls are received and pass through the router to the handset the caller ID is lost.

Does anybody know if this is a limitation with my device or with VOIP routers in general?
7 REPLIES
jnwright
Grafter

As far as I know, this is a quirk of the British PSTN system.

The British system for sending caller ID is to send it before the first ring, so the Zyxel hasn't switched the line to the handset when the caller ID arrives. By the time the Zyxel switches the handset to the incoming call, the caller ID has gone. In other countries and on some British non-BT cable systems, caller ID is sent out after the first ring.

I have overcome this by fitting an old Audioline Sensor55 caller ID reader on the incoming PSTN line prior to the Zyxel.

Two, old but interesting, articles on caller ID I've got bookmarked are

http://www.exar.com/products/tan009.pdf

http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

Hope this helps answer your question!
greg16
Grafter

hi churtonst31,

how good do u find the zyxel, im not sure weather to get this one or a Billion BIPAC but im edging towards the zyxel as it comes with more features.
jnwright
Grafter

I have the 2602HWL-61 and my brother has the 2602HW-61.

I originally had the V3.40(MK.0) firmware in mine but upgraded it to V3.40(MK.1) and then V3.40(MK.2). That made it much more reliable. The early firmware caused it reboot at random! The latest firmware doesn't have this problem. I just rebooted it recently after being connected to one of Plusnet's gateways for over 1000 hours. The length of time it will stay connected just depends on how often PN have a problem with a gateway. The useful thing with the Zyxel is being able to add IP nat loopback to get to a linux server using it's external address on both sides of the router. This allows a laptop used at multiple locations to find it easily without any change to links.

I have two SIP accounts, the one I normally use is with Voiptalk, the other with Draytel. Both register without any problem and have made voip to PSTN in quite a few countries. My wife just came off a call to New Zealand which lasted over an hour! I don't use Plusnet's voip offering. It seems too unreliable judging by the constant problems posted on the portal.

We had a thunderstorm about 3 months ago. One simultaneous flash and violent bang crashed the system! I rebooted and found that one of the 4 switch ports on the Zyxel had died and the wired network card in one computer (in a different room) had died. I wasn't holding out much hope for the router but it came back to life minus one LAN port. I was surprised that the ADSL port survived, but it did with my usual 14dB downstream SNR and 8128/448 connection! It's been working OK since then. I think the failure was caused by an earthloop with the computer in a different room to the router. The storm was definitely overhead! A replacement card brought the network back to life in the computer! No problems have been experienced since.

I find the firewall to be very good. It emails me the log when full, which can be interesting!

The wifi works OK with both mac and windows computers - laptops and desktops. It isn't very strong - an old Linksys WAP54G with non-Linksys firmware is better. Both routers and the Linksys AP work well with WAP-PSK security. Better than my neighbour who only uses WEP!

My brother's 2602-HW came with V3.40(MF.3) firmware and performs as well as the HWL version. Have compared the two and they perform very similarly.

Neither of us uses p2p so I can't comment on their performance in this respect. Neither of us have used the Zyxel VPN capability.

I think that the -61C versions are probably similar in performance - pretty good! I believe the -61(C) versions are being phased out in favour of the -D1A judging by the retailers information and a pdf file I found on the Zyxel site. The 2602s fetch a good price on ebay. I've not seen a D1A there yet!

I've not used the Billion BIPAC routers - However, I do read favourable comments on the Australian Whirpool forum. If I remember correctly, IP nat loopback is not so straightforward - something has to be sacrificed in order to achieve this.

If you do get a Zyxel, the firmware for the complete range of products (and the user guides, datasheets etc) are to be found at ftp://ftp.europe.zyxel.com/ - very useful!

I hope churtonst31 is similarly impressed by the Zyxel router in his circumstances!
churtonst31
Grafter

Thanks for the reply on my CLI problem, jnwright. I also emailed the Zyxel customer support (who it should be noted replied the next working day) to ask if there was it a setting which I just hadn't found. Their answer, as you have said, was that it is not possible with the 2602-HWL-61C but that it would be a feature in the 61-D1A.

I would say that overall I have been impressed by the 2602-HWL-61C - but it isn't perfect. In particular, the wireless functionality could be more reliable. A couple of wireless devices on my network have "issues" with WPA authentication. But it is robust hardware, the latest firmware is good, and the support has been very helpful. You might consider DrayTek in your decision too.

jnwright - you mention the
IP NAT LOOPBACK ON
functionality, which I too use. Is there an easy way to make the router execute this command automatically on reboot, do you know?
jnwright
Grafter

The command is added to the autoexec.net file in the router so that it automatically executes it at bootup.

To do this, first save your router config file, as in the User Guide, in case of accidents! Remember to use the bin setting if you're using ftp.

Go to the Windows Run command and telnet to the router by typing

telnet 192.168.1.1

Give your router password (1234 is the default) when prompted.

Select number 24 (System Maintenance) from the menu.

From the next menu, select 8 (Command Interpreter Mode).

You will get a ras> prompt

Type

sys edit autoexec.net

and you will see

ras> sys edit autoexec.net
EDIT cmd: q(uit) x(save & exit) i(nsert after) d(elete) r(eplace) n(ext)

If you repeatedly hit the n key the contents will be displayed. (2602HW-61 used in this example)
Yours should be similar to

sys errctl 0
sys trcl level 5
sys trcl type 1180
sys trcp cr 64 96
sys trcl sw off
sys trcp sw off
ip tcp mss 512
ip tcp limit 2
ip tcp irtt 65000
ip tcp window 2
ip tcp ceiling 6000
ip rip activate
ip rip merge on
ppp ipcp compress off
sys wdog sw on
ip icmp discovery enif0 off
bridge mode 1
sys quick enable
wan adsl rate off
EOF

Hit q to leave the editor and start editing again. When you reach the line you want to add it after, hit the i key and type the command
ip nat loopback on

Hit return then x (or q if you've got it wrong)

The file will be saved and will contain the extra command.

If you open the file again you will see the command line has been added

ras> sys edit autoexec.net
EDIT cmd: q(uit) x(save & exit) i(nsert after) d(elete) r(eplace) n(ext)
sys errctl 0
sys trcl level 5
sys trcl type 1180
sys trcp cr 64 96
sys trcl sw off
sys trcp sw off
ip tcp mss 512
ip tcp limit 2
ip tcp irtt 65000
ip tcp window 2
ip tcp ceiling 6000
ip rip activate
ip rip merge on
ip nat loopback on
ppp ipcp compress off
sys wdog sw on
ip icmp discovery enif0 off
bridge mode 1
sys quick enable
wan adsl rate off
EOF

Hit q to exit the editor

At the ras> prompt type exit and hit return

type 99 at the menu and the telnet session is finished.

If you get it wrong, don't reboot. Restore the original config file saved earlier and then reboot!

When you're happy, save your config file again because autoexec.net is saved with it!

Good luck!
greg16
Grafter

hi churton,

thanks for that.
draytek 2800vg would be my 1st choice but at £170, its a bit steep although i would luv it
churtonst31
Grafter

Thanks jnwright. Much appreciated.