cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNAME records pointing at plus.net hosted webspace

mactabby
Grafter

Ok, so I have a domain name hosted elsewhere and I want it to point at my webspace here, and from reading FAQs and so on I understand that I have 3 options:

1. transfer the domain registration and hosting here [but the reg fees are too high]
2. use basic web-redirection [but it's naff for so many reasons]
3. change the nameservers to plus.net's and have them host my DNS records [generally considered the best option]

However - I have a fourth option, which is to leave the domain and the DNS records where they are and set up a CNAME record which points to my webspace here. ie, www......IN......CNAME.....www.username.plus.com.

This should work, but it doesn't. It gets to the servers here, but returns URL not found. Support tell me this is because you can't use CNAME to point to a subdomain, but I've tried pointing it at other websites with and without subdomains and it works fine.

So - what's going on? Is this something that plus.net can do, or not? Should I just give up and go for DNS hosting?

Cheers
Mac
4 REPLIES
N/A

Option 4 willjust mean your domain resolves to the PlusNet servers.

Along with this, the web server needs to setup so it knows where to find the files associated with your domain.

Whilst you may be under the impression it works off bat on other providers, I can assure it didn't.

Think of that as registering a domain, and thinking you should automaticaly get e-mail through without some form of provider.
mactabby
Grafter

OK and thanks, but is it not a simple thing for plus.net to tweak the server to say that requests coming from my domain should resolve to my webspace?

If not, I'll forget it and go for the DNS-only hosting option.

Cheers
Mac
N/A

No it isn't that simple.

Different providers do things different ways. Especialy whe it has to remain cost effective to managed thousands of sites at a time, and more so, when you are supposed to be concentrating on your core business, being an ISP.

For PlusNets systems to accomodate your request, a DNS zonefile also needs to be created. This causes issue in that PlusNet customers would be servced from this zone file, and changes you amke to the DNS and e-mail would fail.

It would be better to go for DNS hosting. Is there any reason you want to use another hosts DNS?
mactabby
Grafter

Thanks for this - no good reason, I just wanted to get some value out of a DNS management service I'd paid for some time ago, and I could see a certain flexibility in that solution.

I'll go for option 3.

Cheers
Mac