Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI - Calling Line ID

petermaughan
Grafter

CLI - Calling Line ID

Hi,
I have two related questions:

1. If I call a PSTN line from PlusTalk, what CLI will the recipient see? Would it be the 0845 number allocated to me for incoming calls? (For comparison, I notice that SkypeOut calls show up as INTERNATIONAL, which is not very clever.)

2. Will I be able to see the CLI of PSTN calls I recieve via PlusTalk?

Peter
2 REPLIES
N/A

CLI - Calling Line ID

Hi peter,

My understanding is that when you make a phone call on a digital phone network your phone is given (phone as in a network connected device) a unique ID, and this is received by another phone when you make a call or even if the caller was out and the call not taken. Where the caller line ID feature is switched on (enabled, as it can be switched off for annonymous calls) the CLID is then stored in your phone. Thus enabling you to use the 1471 feature to find out who called and easily and quickly return the call if desired.

**As the internet is also a digital medium then my guess and it is only a guess! you should still receive the CLID of the other person and vica versa just like any normal BT type phone. The call is still going over a network its just going over a different route to reach the person you want to talk with, and the transmission method is slightly different ie. the data packets sent contain voice or sound data not other kinds of data.

Ivan
petermaughan
Grafter

Calling Line Id

Having now joined PlusTalk I can answer the two questions that I asked.

1. Calls made from PlusTalk to a landline or mobile show up as "caller unknown" or "withheld".

2. The identity of incoming calls can be seen, so long as the caller has not withheld the information.

I still think it would be preferrable if outgoing calls were associated with the 0845 number allocated for incoming calls. That way, people could call you back.

Peter