Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugbear B

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bugbear B

I have been stupid, and played straight into the hands of Bugbear B - opened the attachment and tried repeatedly to do so, because the message that came with it was so convincing. I offer no excuses, just supidity because I should have known better. It was repaired easily enough with Norton, which of course it had disabled.

However, I am surprised that Plus Net does not at least send out an alert to all its its customers when a new major threat like Bugbear B is being proliferated. Surely it would be in their own interests to avoid unnecessary traffic resulting from the virus, and it would cost nothing to do.

I know several other people who have come under attack in the last few days. One ISP - Globalnet (Cable and Wireless) - not only defends their customers from attack through the Globalnet firewall, but they also advise each customer directly whenever they intercept a mail with a virus - my contact received separate notifications yesterday from Globalnet that he had been sent TWO mails with the virus attached.

I am sure that there will be lots of reasons given by Plusnet why they can't do what Globalnet does. But there can be no reason why they cannot just send out a simple global alert to all their subscribers to be wary when something as proliferous as Bugbear B suddenly rears its ugly head. Fore-warned is fore-armed, as they say. Please no excuses - it is called old fashioned "Customer Service" (anybody remember what that was ? Not much of it around anywhere these days, since the advent of Call Centres). The standard excuse rolled out for doing nothing is the "Data Protection Act", but on this occasion even that one could not be stretched that far !
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Bugbear B

I have been stupid, and played straight into the hands of Bugbear B - opened the attachment and tried repeatedly to do so, because the message that came with it was so convincing. I offer no excuses, just supidity because I should have known better. It was repaired easily enough with Norton, which of course it had disabled.

Then it's your virus scanner that failed not plusnet, time to get a new virus scanner.

However, I am surprised that Plus Net does not at least send out an alert to all its its customers when a new major threat like Bugbear B is being proliferated. Surely it would be in their own interests to avoid unnecessary traffic resulting from the virus, and it would cost nothing to do.

I would guess they do if you use there spam/virus email filter service. But if you rely on a ISP to keep you informed then they will always fail, as they wont use the exact same source for imformation as every other ISP. Some get updated quicker. Better to be self aware than rely on someone else.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Re: Bugbear B

This has already been raised in the Ideas and Suggestions forum asking for the latest virus threats to be available on the forum home page.
Hopefully it will be acted upon soon.
Community Veteran

Bugbear B

Sending an email to all of the customers would cause more mail queues than the problems of a handful of customers who get themselves infected.
A list in the forums / annocuments of new viruses would be handy though for everyone.

virus filtering at the ISP's end should be an optional service (which it is with PlusNet IIRC), rather than something forced on users.
I don't open any attachments unless Im sure of thier contents, I dont want to rely on PlusNet to do it for me and therefore relax my own defences.

Chris