cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband without phone line???

N/A

Is there a way to get internet access without paying for a BT phone line as I am about to go to Uni and I have a mobile phone so there is no need for it.
Is there any way around thisHuh

Cheers
Jon
7 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Where are you staying at Uni? Most Uni accomodation is connected to the net already....

Unfortunately there is no way to get broadband without having a phone line.

Which uni are you going to?
N/A

Hey,

Cheers for the reply

Im at newcastle uni, Im not in halls or student accomodation but actually in a house. A phone line is physically connected to the house but I don't want to pay the line rental.
LiamM
Grafter

Perhaps you could share it with the others in the house?

IIRC, BT were thinking of launching a BB only phone service where the voice part of the line wasn't activated, but haven't heard much about that.
N/A

Well there'e always cable, if your house is cabled up.
But I guess you won't want to pay for that either.
Failing that, see if next door has broadband and a router with an unused outlet, if so, get a twenty metre cable (about a tenner)
Student, don't you just love em Smiley
Only joking, my wife has just started uni, at the age of 49
N/A

I believe the house is in a cable area, I have been looking on a couple of providers for cable. They seem to offer a good broadband and Tv package but this is only if a phone package is also taken out. Can somebody PM me a cable provider that doesn't make you take out a phone line as well?

Cheers
N/A

Unfortunatly, cable providers work on an area basis, and not wholesale.

IE, if your in a Telewest area, telewest will be your only choice. Ditto for a NTL cabled area, meaning only NTL.
N/A

Re: Broadband without phone line???

Is there a way to get internet access without paying for a BT phone line

I'm sure I saw an advert where Orange do a network card for laptops that connect to the internet.

See here . It's WiFi and I'm not sure if you need to have an account with an ISP, also it would be expensive I imagine.