cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband etc/ISP

N/A

Broadband etc/ISP

Some day I will have to get cable TV installed from Telewest so I can get digital. The packages they offer seem to be based on a transfer from BT for your telephone to Telewest cable phone, which would cost the same. I am wondering about the implications on having PlusNet as my ISP (where I am very happy) rather than going to Telewest because I dont know what the situation would be with a Telewest phone if I wanted to upgrade to broadband etc. I have the impression that PlusNet work hand in hand with BT.

Advice welcome.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Broadband etc/ISP

Yes Telewest offer Blue Yonder as their high speed service so you would have to use that if you didn't want to keep your BT line for ADSL.

I have no Info though on the facilities you get with Telewest's cable broadband
glyndev
Grafter

Broadband etc/ISP

for 512k

Our fixed monthly fee means you don't have to worry about how long you're spending online.

£25 per month with another Telewest phone service or £29.99 per month when ordered alone
Special offer free installation (standard price £40) - offer ends January 31st 2004.
Prices quoted are for payment by Direct Debit

Blueyonder accounts include

30Mb of personal web space
5 blueyonder personalised email accounts
Remote Dial-up Access, which allows you to check emails from a different dial-up connection
Access to the Multi Player Gaming site
Technical Support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week***
A guide to helping you get the most out of broadband internet.

*** on an 0845 number
N/A

Broadband etc/ISP

Cable broadband is usually a bit more expensive
than Plusnet around £30 /month for 512k plus the upload
is half 128k as most of the bandwidth is reserved for their
media broadcasts. However I do'nt know what savings there
are in a package deal .
Have a look at Sky digital aswell , I think the rental costs are lower as they also contract out to cable and the picture
quality is very good. So the overall price difference might not be that
great and you'd end up with better DSL and satellite.
Alec
N/A

Broadband etc/ISP

I should have said that the reason I cant get Freeview is that the booster station that serves Bath has no current plans for upgrading to digital for TV etc.

I went and had a look at Blueyonder and most facilities seem available there. But I would be most reluctant to go there because each of my 360+ webfiles would new editing as I have never got my own domain. And it would take me six months to find my way around although it dont look as sophisticated as PN. Anyway I am not planning on buying my widescreen in the near future so the matter can rest awhile. But thanks very much for the info. The clear choice is between Blueyonder and a BT phoneline. Fortunately that decision may be a year or two away. Thanks again.
N/A

Broadband etc/ISP

There maybe no current plans for Bath to go Digital trans, but it will happen eventually. This is the Governments plans to reduce bandwidth and to be able to sell more frequencies.
I forget the actual timing, but I think there was something about all terestrial TV being digital by 2010 and old analoge being turned off in 2015 ( bit like Sky have done)
You can check out the Governments plans for digital terestrial TV at this site:
http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/ministers_fwd.html
N/A

Broadband etc/ISP

Another point is that my ancient analogue TV might die of old age before the Bath booster digital station goes digital forcing my hand. And I must say that I am very tempted by widescreen but would like DVD recorders to come down a bit more in price before doing anything.