cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Phone thingy

JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

I'm totally confused over this Broadband Phone thingy!!

I was surfing the PN Member portal to try & establish what this is about (my BB package talks about having 240 free mins), when I suddenly receive an email telling me that I have "Signed-up" for it - even though I NEVER clicked on any link that suggested that I was signing up for it!!

However I just cannot find out what it is I have allegedly signed-up for!!

At one point it tells me that I have 240 inclusive mins, whilst another point tells me that I have ZERO mins.

I can't even find out what it is supposed to be costing - one bit implies it is a free service, but I've also seen other bits that variously tell me it is an extra £2.99, £4.99 or £14.99 per month.

Even the info on what hardware I'm supposed to be using is confusing!! It talks about requiring a "Prestige 2002 phone adapter", but when I click on the link it just takes me to a page listing convention Broadband Routers - NO mention of this Prestige thing!!

Even when I go to the Broadband Phone Help Pages & click on the link to the associated Forums, it just tells me that I've selected a Forum that doesn't exist!!

Can anyone make it clearer for me?? Or should I just tell PN to cancel the whole thing??

Regards,
John
14 REPLIES
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

Just to expand, I cannot get it to work because it tells me that I don't have enough credit - even though my Broadband Package (Premier) clearly states that I have 240 FREE mins!
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

It sounds like you haven't activated the plustalk component (which can be done somewhere on the plustalk bit of the portal. I cant recall where this button is as mine is already activated).
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

Have a look at "My Account->Account Details".. I think what you need to activate is in there..
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

Thanks for your input.

I've looked at "My Account->Account Details", but it only indicates that I have no credit. I cannot find where I activate my "240 Free-Minutes"!!
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

According to the Broadband Phone FAQ:-
16. Do I need to make a payment to be able to use my inclusive minutes?
No. However, if you do put credit on your Broadband Phone service you'll be able to call many more numbers, including mobile and international numbers.

Under that basis, I do NOT understand why it is NOT allowing me to make calls!!

The ONLY other possibility, that I can think of is, do I need to activate my INCOMING Lo-Call-Rate number BEFORE I can use the outgoing facility??

Regards & many thanks,
John
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

no you dont need to activate the 0845 number, unless you want to. I dont have time now but I will try and find the activation page later on.
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

If you have a look here there should be a button labelled "activate plustalk" or "activate broadband phone" or something to that effect..
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

Many thanks, but I think that I'm already activated (hence the email from PN mentioned in my 1st post).

If I go into the my-account page, it already gives me all of my SIP details (address, ID & Voicemail Password) - wouldn't this indicate that it is activated??

Best regards,
John
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

Hi Greenleaf,

Just a quick note to say I have the same problem as you (0 mins even though I believe I should have 'some' free minutes). Somebody suggested I raise a ticket about it but I went on Holiday and never got around to it. :roll:

If you find out what the problem is can u post on here?

Cheers,
R.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

Hi,

Just an update!!

After raising a ticket, & PN taking a week to respond, PN have realised that they hadn't set me up with the 240mins & have now corrected that!!

However, the VOIP phone still DOESN'T work!!

If I try to dial my own Land-Line number, it waits for a while & then comes back with a message about the number being unavailable!!
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

Mine seems to be set up with the free minutes, but try as I might I can't get it to dial my home phone without the 'unavailable message' coming up, and dialling the lo-rate sip number simply gets me a 'this person is unavailable message' too !!

I've tried reinstalling the X-Lite software, and trying every option according to the online setup guide.

I've even turned my firewall off and tried that, but still nothing!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
N/A

Broadband Phone thingy

Scrap that!!

Just checked one of the other posts, and apparently this was an issue at Plusnet's end - has now been fixed !
N/A

X-Lite isn't the best

I've tried to get X-Lite to work reliably and I can't so I gave up. At around the same time I needed a new router so I decided to get a full all in one solution and bought a DrayTek Vigor 2800VG. It's got DSL modem, 4-port hub, WiFi, printer port but importantly 2 VoIP channels this means I can use my Draytel account for international (cheap) and PlusNet for the free mins and local stuff. Since I've been using the hardware solution I've had no problems at all. There are other (cheaper) hardware VoIP boxes around and are probably more reliable than X-Lite
Liam
Grafter

Broadband Phone thingy

If you are having problems, it is normally because the Plustalk component was active on your account before we started to include Plustalk minutes with your product (this requires a different component).

To fix this - what you can do is go to Account Summary here : https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary

Next to the Broadband Phone product, click on "Cancel" (NOTE : If you have call credit - this will be lost so use up your call credit first!). This will remove the PAYG component from your account.

Wait a little while and then, under Account details, here : https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mydetails there should be an option to "Activate Broadband Phone". This will reactivate Broadband Phone for you with your included minutes. It should assign you with the same numbers.