cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounced Emails

N/A

Bounced Emails

We send emails to a supplier in Denmark and regularly get the following message when the email is bounced:

550 5.2.1 Mailbox unavailable. Your IP address 212.159.14.213 is blacklisted using PSBL. Details:
Listed in PSBL, see http://psbl.surriel.com/listing?ip=212.159.14.213.

212.159.14.213 is not our static IP but according to tracert is ptb-relay02.plus.net

Why are emails being bounced because of this IP address?

I dont believe that we are the cause of this problem as our mail server is behind a good firewall, and we have 2 levels of antivirus.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,469
Registered: 30-07-2007

Bounced Emails

212.159.14.213 is one of several plusnet mail servers that send emails out to other mail servers on the internet. When you send email, it goes via plusnets mail servers to the outside world.

For some reason, that email server has been blacklisted, probably because someone reported spam coming from it and it could have been any plusnet user.

Looking at the report link (after removing the trailing .), it was removed from the blacklist on Tue Nov 23 14:03:43 2004 so if you try to send your email again it should now go through.
N/A

Bounced Emails

http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.159.14.212

And now the same problem with dsbl.org

What can plusnet do to prevent these problems, and are these people blocking emails legitimately policing the net?

We all suffer with bucket loads of spam , but hope and expect our legitimate emails to get through.
N/A

Bounced Emails

Further to my rant I emailed DSBL and have received the following 2 replies:
========================================================
1
========================================================
> Your organisation is bouncing legitimate emails being sent through
> plus.com
> - <http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.159.14.212>
> http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.159.14.212

No, we aren't. Your recipients are blocking them, because they don't want mail from inseure mail servers.

> Why?
>
> Who are you to police the internet in this way?
>
> Yes I am fed up with the 20 - 100 spam emails I get per day, but
> expect legitimate emails to get delivered and not stopped by "self
> styled internet vigilantes"
>
> Your comments please.....

If you want further support, please read the website, understand how email works, and leave your attempts at Godwin's Law proofs at home.

=======================================================
2
=======================================================
> Your organisation is bouncing legitimate emails being sent through
> plus.com

Julie, you are wrong: we accept and read your mail with attention.

> -
> http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.159.14.212
>
> Why?
>
> Who are you to police the internet in this way?

DSBL is physically unable to "police the internet". It is just impossible.

> Yes I am fed up with the 20 - 100 spam emails I get per day, but
> expect legitimate emails to get delivered and not stopped by "self
> styled internet vigilantes"
>
> Your comments please.....

Quite simple. Malserver "ptb-relay01.plus.net" is proven to be compromised. DSBL publishes factual information about this impleasant circumstance. Your recipient does not want any e-mail from known compromised sources.

The practical advice: please contact Plus.net helpdesk and demand them to fix the security problem referred at http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.159.14.212. They can and must.
==========================================================
The suggestion here is that the problem is that plus net is COMPROMISED

If you wish me to send you copies of tehse replies with the contacts so you can deal directly please email me at richard AT wyrecom.plus.com and I will happily oblige.

Thanks Richard
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,469
Registered: 30-07-2007

Bounced Emails

I suggest you put all the info into a contact us ticket and let plusnet sort it out.