cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blogging

N/A

Blogging

I want to ask some (dumb) questions on blogging:

Can I have my blog on PlusNet - in the webspace available to us? Is the space sufficient for what is likely to be a medium intensity blog? Are there any restrictions on accepting or providing for comments?

Can I use software like Movabletype or am I limited to PlusNet software? What are the arrangements for uploading?

Can I make my blog password protected?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Blogging

Even dumber question. What on earth is "Blogging"
Community Veteran

Blogging

A blog is like an online diary or soapbox ish sort of thing which everyone visiting the bloggers website can read.

Hi murraywise,

Yes you can setup a blog on PlusNet and you can use your own software if you have a PlusNet account that has CGI webspace (all but ADSL home surf and Biz Surf accounts do). You will need ti activate your CGI webspace and possibly MySQL from the linkson your left.

Movabletype may work on PlusNets CGI server, I do recall someone trying to install it (and posting here with a problem) so try searching for movabletype and see if you canfind it. I don't know if they got it working or not. There are other blog software but you will have to look your self as I have never used blogs.

You can password protect directories within your webspace which may do the trick, so as long as your blog HTML page is in that directory you have to enter login/password to access it. See the following tutorial: General: .htaccess
N/A

Blogging

Just enter it in google and you'll get millions of definitions
N/A

Blogging

Many thanks for a complete and helpful reply. I shall set up the blog and let you know how it went. Blogging has moved on enormously since I first read Louise Kehoe's blog on the FT site, about two years ago. The designs and layouts are phenomenal, due in great part to movable type, I believe.

keep up the good work!
N/A

Blogging

Another question:

My domain name is murraywise.com, and it's (obviously) hosted on PlusNet. Thus my email address is stuart@murraywise.com.

I assume that my web address will be murraywise.com rather than murraywise.plus.com

Is this correct?
Community Veteran

Blogging

Yep http://www.murraywise.com
but I notice if iI call that I get the plusnet holding page so you need to have your domain pointing to a index file in htdocs or a folder in there.
N/A

Blogging

my blog is hosted on plus.net
www.tamil.plus.com
i used blogger.com, much more easier than moveabletype, prolly coz i'm not a computer person.