cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking BitComet

N/A

Blocking BitComet

I would like some help blocking BitComet altogether, I have a SpeedTouch 510v4 router and have no idea how to block the ports for it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
4 REPLIES
N/A

Blocking BitComet

In a word, you can't. Bit comet makes use of random ports for Bit Torrent, so even if you block the default P2P ports 6881-6889 it will still work.

Your better off blocking the application though a software firewall. A good software firewall can allow you to add rules to either prevent the application from ever running or otherwise block all traffic to that application.

Can I ask why you want block Bitcomet? Because if the person has installed one Bit Torrent application and you block it, what to stop them installing another one?
N/A

Blocking BitComet

Thank you for your input, we have 4 computers all hocked up to the router and when some one is download with a P2P program even at 40kbps out of 256kbp the hole internet locks up and you can not do nothing, not even sign into MSN.

I keep going on to the computer with BitComet installed and limiting the download and uploadeds but then they just change it back.

Regards
N/A

Blocking BitComet

Are these home or office computers? can you not install a password protected firewall on the PC concerned, and block bit comet from running.

As a future prevention, if the machines are running XP, then create a new limited user on the machine concerned. Un-install bit comet. Setup a password that only you know on the computer admin accounts.

This will prevent it being installed again, once you've taken it off.

Finally, depending on what account your on with Plus Net, you maybe able to enable surf, which is designed to block P2P traffic.
N/A

Blocking BitComet

Thank you for your input, we have 4 computers all hocked up to the router and when some one is download with a P2P program even at 40kbps out of 256kbp the hole internet locks up and you can not do nothing, not even sign into MSN.

I keep going on to the computer with BitComet installed and limiting the download and uploadeds but then they just change it back.

Regards

Elaine it sounds like you need to speak with this individual and explain to them that they are being selfish with the use of P2P software as they are stopping the whole family using the Internet.

Maybe you should set a specific time for when they can use P2P or suggest they download overnight while you are tucked up in bed.