cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Ports

N/A

Blocked Ports

Has anybody else been affecred by the blocking of various ports by Pusnet?

We are now unable to access critical business sites because PN has block port 12345

Are we allowed compenation for loss of business?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Blocked Ports

What program uses this port;

12345 Italk Chat System?

Chilly
N/A

Blocked Ports

Highly unlikely.

Whilst a sevear inconvieniance and certainly not performed in the interest of the userbase, PlusNet have the right under the contract to impliment such blocks in the interest of network security.

I would suggest that business critical links are run over a secure VPN anyhow, where such blocks would not cause such problems.
N/A

Blocked Ports

acarr thats all good and well, but , even though i advocate the idea of blocking ports, there should be an option to disable sais block for users (have a group where it is not blocked) , this would allow certain users to have free connections, if they give the correct reasons, just as it is if you request a block of IPs from PN.
N/A

Blocked Ports

Can't Plusnet filter specific IP's?
N/A

Blocked Ports

Probably but the easiest way to maintain the rules on the gateways is a blanket block - apart from that if everyone requests their blocks be lifted then we're back where we started from.

Given how easy interception of non (actually vpn traffic is just as easy to intercept, just needs a few Wink cpu cycles to read it) vpn traffic I'm not sure really what the fuss is. At the end of the day as an ISP PN have a duty to ensure the security of their network in law and a moral (imho) to help ensure the security of their users and the internet as a whole. If more ISP's took the hard decision to block certain ports then maybe DDos attacks would be less common place, zombie pc's would be useless to the attackers etc etc.

(Though the protection against DDOS means someone needs to keep up to date with the port blocking lists and maintain them - and if a serious attack does occur it means blocking the ports without prior notice and then notifying customer via the usual means (in plusnet''s current mode it means ignore us Sad ) )
N/A

Blocked Ports

Given how easy interception of non (actually vpn traffic is just as easy to intercept, just needs a few icon_wink.gif cpu cycles to read it) vpn traffic I'm not sure really what the fuss is

A few CPU cycles indeed. That and a few years.

VPN uses public-key encryption, in the same way SSL does. Each end holds a private key which is never transmitted, and a public key which is exchanges during the connection negotiation.

Whilst each key is different, they are mathimaticaly linked, such that data encrypted with a public key, can only be decrypted with a private key.

To intercept and look into VPN traffic, a company would need to essentialy compute the private key, something which is gonna take a very long time. Also, this will only release one-way data, as a second key would need to be computed for the other direction.

This is why VPN is so good. It is a good way to transmit secure data between two networks, where you have a insecure transfer medium.

Of course, the insecure transfer medium still needs to be worried about, and good security policies like key rotation and as much blocking as possible to provent attacks outside the realm of the encrypted tunnel.

If more ISP's took the hard decision to block certain ports then maybe DDos attacks would be less common place, zombie pc's would be useless to the attackers etc etc.

(Though the protection against DDOS means someone needs to keep up to date with the port blocking lists and maintain them

Unfortunatly, DDoS attacks only need a single port for operation, so these blocks are of zero value to prevent an attacker.

DDoS is designed to crush a network based on the sheer weight of the inbound traffic.

First saturating a single system, this will become usless. Second, it will render whole networks unusable, even though the intended target is no longer in operation.
N/A

Blocked Ports

Philip - I know how long it takes to crack ssl - I was being slight sarcastic/ironic.
N/A

Blocked Ports

Hiya, Cheesy

Sorry to trouble you. I seem to be having trouble using one of my ports. Please could you tell me if plus net have blocked port 6346. :roll:

This port was ok till about the start of May and then it started to play up, sometimes I could use it and other times I wasn't able to ,now there just doesn't seem to be anything happening at all. Sad

If anyone could help I'd be grateful.

Thanks
N/A

Blocked Ports

Not that I know of.

What problems exactly are you having?
What product are you on?
N/A

Blocked Ports

prob updated to SP2 and the XP firewall is now on...
N/A

Blocked Ports

Hiya,

I just can't get any data to go in or out of that 6346 port. Point blank refuses to except anything or send anything.

I've always had a firewall and had SP2 since it came out, and this problem like I said didn't start till May of this year.

It's a port both my brother and I use to share my Egyptian software that we use to write in hieroglyphs, which is for part of our Undergraduate Egyptian courses we're doing.

Are there any other ports you can sugguest I might try that are safe to use.

So if you've any ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks Cheesy
N/A

Blocked Ports

You can try pretty much any port.

No port in unsafe as such, just the packages that use them.
N/A

Blocked Ports

Hiya,

Will have a go at trying some different ports.

Thanks Cheesy