cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre website update problem

N/A

I've just done a major update (20mb of new pages) on my website, which involved completely replacing the old index.html file. I deleted the old index.html page on the server before uploading the new page.

When I tried viewing the site in my browsers (Safari & IE 6) I still got the old homepage. I tried force-refreshing the page and clearing the web cache on both apps, with no luck.

However, if I add "/index.html" to the URL, I get the new page. Without, I still get the old one.
I wondered if there was somehow an old "index htm" page left on the server, to which the browsers were defaulting, but adding "/index.htm" to the URL gets me "file not found", plus nothing shows up in Dreamweaver's remote site view.

I've tried this on two different machines with the same result. Can anyone suggest why this is happening? The URL's are below if you want to check

http://www.disraeli.plus.com/ (old page - "Welcome to Scarlet Traces")

http://www.disraeli.plus.com/index.html (new page - "D'Website of 'Israeli")
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I get your new page on both links.

Were you at home (on a plusnet IP) or at work (on a company IP) when you did this update. If at work, could your company proxy server be caching your old page somehow as it does look like a cacheing issue somewhere - the fact that the old page does not actually exist.

I know plusnet don't have a webcache so it must be getting it from somewhere. I'm wondering if your local cache was not completely cleared when you did it.
N/A

Thanks for that - I'm on a wireless network at my girlfriends and just a few minutes ago the problem cleared, so it looks as if you were right.
N/A

Problem solved!

Thanks for that - I'm on a wireless network at my girlfriends and just a few minutes ago the problem cleared, so it looks as if you were right.