cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth!

N/A

Bandwidth!

I see from another topic that bandwith on the Plusnet site has the same limit as the webspace limit i.e. 250 megs webspace = 250 megs bandwidth. My website (when I eventually get it uploaded) is approximately 25 megs and includes quite a lot of graphics. Does that mean I can only get 10 hits a day (if the whole site is downloaded) and what happens if the bandwidth is exceeded?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Bandwidth!

That would depend on your site size.

You stated your site is large, but not how large.

If it is 25MB in total, then yes, it would only mean 10 hits a day. But that is only if every item is downloaded per person.

As for what happens if this exceeded. That will depend on how much it is exceeded by. If it isn't much then it may be left alone. They will then look at the average access and just see if you had a "good day".

If it it goes over the limit more than once a week, IE, it overall access over a week is higher, then they will ask you to reduce the content to bring it down. (it may not be a week. An official responce would be needed for that)

If you exceed it by a lot, then it may be removed and a landing page (stating it has exceeded the bandwidth) put in place. You can then reduce it and put it back.
Community Veteran

Bandwidth!

When your bandwidth is exceeded, I think access to your website is blocked until the next accounting period the following day - which is probably 00:00->23:59 - and PlusNet present a bandwidth exceeded page in place of your website.

Actually the 25Meg webspace accounts don't have 25Meg bandwidth limits, it varies depending on your account type with the minimum being 100Megs. See http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=160#webspace
N/A

Bandwidth!

Thanks chaps - the link was quite specific. I'm rather naive about these matters but 250 megs bandwidth doesn't seem to me to be very much. One of the attractions of Plusnet, for me, was the amount of webspace on offer. 250 megs is pretty generous by comparison with many other ISPs but the associated bandwidth seems pretty mean. Is there a way of a site monitoring the amount of download and upload it is subjected to so that the owner can take steps to limit bandwidth without having it arbitarily limited by the ISP if it is exceeded?
N/A

Bandwidth!

There is no quick way, however, you can enable and look at the webstats daily.

7.5GB a month is actualy pretty good for any hosting company. Considering PlusNets primary goal is being an ISP, it is very generous.
N/A

Bandwidth!

Accepting first that you are an ISP, if I know that my bandwidth is likely to exceed your limit, would I be better off hosting my site on DMZ web server at home?

Currently my externally hosted web space is well under 50Mb but some parts are visited a lot, but I don't see there would be a lot of traffic flow at one time - it's not like I'm hosting MPEGs or movies or anything, just HTML and a few graphics up to 300kb say. I would quite like to get rid of the host (as they are pants at answering phones/emails!) and home setup would not be beyond my skill level - I work in a team that administers 250 Windows 2000 servers, including Citrix and IIS.

Is this something you would frown upon? I know some ISPs don't like the idea of customers hosting their own sites on the end of BB lines. How does PlusNet view this?

Thanks
csogilvie
Grafter

Bandwidth!

You can host sites on the end of your BB Line if you wish, but it will be a lot slower than normal websites.
Community Veteran

Bandwidth!

To expand on what Colin has said, the outbound link on your ADSL connection is only 256Kbits/s so it is that which will be used for serving pages from your own webserver. It is that that will limit the speed at which people can view your web pages hence Colin saying it will be slower.

ADSL is geared towards you requesting pages from other servers which is why your inbound link is 512Kbits/s or 1Meg, 2Meg etc.

Also if you were thinking about increasing your ADSL speed to 1M or 2M, that only improves your inbound link, you are still limited to 256Kbits/s outbound.

You can actually try it now: username.plus.com URL already points to your own IP address. Just try a ping to it and you will see it resolved to your static IP. ( www.username.plus.com points to plusnets web server).
N/A

Bandwidth!

OK thanks.

Might try sticking my PC in my DMZ temporarily and see how slow it is then.