cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth and spam

N/A

Bandwidth and spam

I am new to this service and awaiting activation. I wondered about bandwidth, I have 1 Gig per month, at the moment on dial-up I somtimes recieve a couple of hundred spam mails a day. I should think once on broadband service with a new email address this will fall, but over time will again increase to a significant level. Will this errode all my 1Gig or a substantial part ? And what if anything is the solution.
3 REPLIES
channel
Grafter

Bandwidth and spam

As someone on the old packages, I don't have access to it, but all new signups on the broadband packages get free access to the plus net spam filter. Take a look on the customer feedback forum for more on the effectiveness of this, but, as I understand it, it's rather good by all accounts.
Community Veteran

Bandwidth and spam

Any data travelling down your ADSL line will add to your bandwidth usage. SO downloading emails will do this.

There is very little you can do to stop this happening. I also believe the SPAM emails are not deleted but just flagged as spam so you would still download them.

You could try using someting like mailwasher to remove any spam before you download it.
N/A

Bandwidth and spam

Yep its hard to prevent, if you get large amounts of spam then they definatly will use some of your bandwidth, the best way I think for you is to have a mail program that only downloads the mail headers and leaves the message on the server untill you tell it specifically to download, this isnt a perfect solution but it will reduce the trafic a little bit.