cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT broadband phone nightmare

ruislip
Grafter

I have signed up with BT - I wish I had not - I did not know of the F9 version when I did.

Setting aside all the problems which I had acually getting BT to make any sense of their own system, which would have made a 1/2 hour episode of Watchdog alone, I am still having problems.

It goes like this

I have a BT line, and a F9 connection. I have a D-Link ADSL DLS-G604T wireless router and connected between it and my PC is a BT Voyager 10V adapter, as supplied by them.

It works fine, for a while, then the connection drops - usually after a few hours, but I have no idea specifically how long. I can only get it to work again by unplugging the 10v and connection it again, it then works find for a few hours. It is not the phone as I have tried two.

BT suggested opening some specific ports on the router and F9 suggested the router is timing out, I have set the idle time both for 0 and 99999 and the result is unchanged.

Has anyone any ideasHuh??

I spoke to BT help and they just blamed F9!!!!
4 REPLIES
astarsolutions
Grafter

I have been using the BT broadband voice service for several years now and despite the occasional problem of the line dropping the service has been great, especially BT's telephone support.

Originally I didn't need to open up any ports but since changing router I have had to; I have port 2427, UDP and TCP redirected to the ATA (analogue telephone adapter).

There is nothing wrong with using the service with a F9 connection so as long as the ports are open and redirected on your router it sounds like you have a faulty ATA.
ruislip
Grafter

Thanks, the port you mention is open, my d-link does not seem to offer anything other than "open"

I have no reason to think it is the 10v all the lights stay on as they should.
astarsolutions
Grafter

You should be able to forward the port as well using NAT, find the IP address of your ATA and redirect the relevant port to that IP.

I have no reason to think it is the 10v all the lights stay on as they should.
Remember there's a lot more to a piece of equipment than the lights, your computer may crash but the power light will still be on.
There could be a bug in the software and a vital service might be failing on the ATA after a couple of hours.
ruislip
Grafter

Sorry I have no idea what all the abbreviations stand for or what I need to do. Clearly I need to ask you if you could explain a bit more - can you.

I am not really up on all this stuff. BT said it would be a doddle!!!!