cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Vision

lingbob
Grafter

BT Vision

I note in the "Plans for 2007" document that PN are to offer a version of BT Vision. Anyone know if this is moving forward at all.
11 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

BT Vision

The silence is deafening :roll:
Community Veteran

BT Vision

It is not moving forward at the moment as all resources have been put on improving the security of PNs systems and implementing additional security features like changing usernames.
Community Veteran

BT Vision

PlusNet have posted the following replays about BT vision in the following thread;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56342

Hi there,

<snip>

With regards to Fusion, Vision etc we will definitely be offering these services in the future (you might want to bear in mind the contract periods when signing up for them elsewhere at present).

If the OP wants vision now, or in the short term, then he will have to move to BT.

Personally I can not see PlusNet offering Vision this year, but I may be wrong.

Chilly

Personally I can. But I may be wrong. Wink

On a serious note it's definitely in the plans for this year, however in terms of a firm date we don't yet have one.

Chilly
N/A

BT Vision

I too am looking forward to the BTVision offering from PlusNet.
lingbob
Grafter

BT Vision

So was I until I read this report but I've now gone completely off the idea Sad
N/A

BT Vision

Yes I am sure there are bugs to sorted out...remember when Sky wiped out a ton of Sky+ boxes with a new firmware!

I am sure that only time will tell.
N/A

BT Vision

Yes I am sure there are bugs to sorted out...remember when Sky wiped out a ton of Sky+ boxes with a new firmware!

I am sure that only time will tell.
N/A

BT Vision

I don't see anything compelling about the BT Vision offering TBH.

The service is essentially a 160GB HDD recorder and freeview tuner for £90 (not a bad deal) with added VOD. The service restricts you to BT Total broadband for eighteen months (existing customers have to sign a new contract or it costs £199), requires you to use the awful BT Home Hub. Apparently it only offers a single tuner for freeview, meaning that you can only record the same program you're watching. Slow menus, technical issues recording and problems wiping already recorded programs have also been reported.

The VOD content is limited and overpriced according to customer reports and content, of course, expires after watching it. With boxsets falling in price all the time, an increasing online rental market for DVD's, Apple TV set to take off imminently, and Channel 4, Five, Lovefilm and the BBC all increasingly offering VOD services there's a lot of competition in this market.

I'd go for a dual Freeview tuner and HDD recorder which you can pick up new for around nine pounds more than the activation cost and without any contractual nonsense. Apart from anything else, the ability to record two programs at the same time, or watch one and record another, will save a lot of family arguments.
lingbob
Grafter

BT Vision

I've seen Digital TV Recorders in Currys for as little as 120 quid which have twin tuners, a HDD and built-in FreeView. Is this what you mean by "dual FreeView tuner".
N/A

BT Vision

Yes it is, and these are available new for £99 online- no doubt eBay has some even cheaper if you want to go down that route.
Simon_M
Grafter

BT Vision

Following the recent spate of BT Vision adverts & my wife's Inverto twin tuner HDD recorder having a hissy fit, I too looked beyond the headline adverts at what was really on offer.

I reached exactly the same conclusion as lestones.

I certainly wouldn't move to BT for it. I can't see myself getting very excited even when PN do offer it, but we'll see what the deal is.

Fortunately, a disk reformat seems to have effected a (probably temporary) fix to the Inverto. Excellent bit of kit, sadly now very poorly supported by the manufacturer in the UK. First rate user forum though.