cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBCi and Real Player

Novocastrian
Grafter

BBCi and Real Player

Those of you who access BBC Broadband from the portal, what flavour of Real Player do you use?
At one time RP was considered to be a bit on the invasive side. Is this still the case?
9 REPLIES
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

By default, yes it is.

However, the message center is easily configurable these days, to stop messages being received.
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

Even the latest version when you install it drops extra icons on the desktop etc., but at least now you configure it Cheesy
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

Have you tried downloading Real from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml ?

I think these OEM versions have slightly less spyware/bloat in them compared to the versions you get straight from Real.
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

u can get a codec that allows u to play RP files into windows media player etc Smiley which means u have no need to install real player Cheesy

Buz
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

u can get a codec that allows u to play RP files into windows media player etc Smiley which means u have no need to install real player

I thought you had to install Real in order to get the codec (and install it properly), whether you actually use it or not? For instance, I play Real Audio files using Winamp, but I still had to install Real in order to get the codec.
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

Indeed. Real is required regardless of which player you use.

It's due to the way Real licence out there codecs. Most companies provide full decoder code, so that codecs can operate independantly.

Real only licence the API. So codecs only attack onto existing code installed on your system.
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

That's not strictly true - you don't need to install the horrible abomination from real to view the BBCi stuff.

just do a search for real alternative.

It doesn't work with everything but it definitely works with the BBC.
michaelscott
Grafter

BBCi and Real Player

Indeed. Real is required regardless of which player you use.

Not true. Take a look at RealAlternative.
N/A

BBCi and Real Player

Bah, bet me to it, Real Alternative totally avoids using the clunky Real Player, it's still a big download but the installation involves no spyware, no ads and absolutely no need for the RealPlayer.