cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBCi Player

N/A

BBCi Player

Hi All,

Trying to use this thing for the first time - abit confused.

I went to view the top of the pops bit and the player is too small for the screen and cannot be expanded ( i've tried really hard)

www.treosupport.com/totp2.JPG

And then when i try and view the collective bit i am told

"This service is only availabe to UK residents who have a broadband connection"

Im in sheffield with 512k - ugh!? is there a sheffield in australia? LOL

www.treosupport.com/collective.JPG

Any ideas? Smiley

Cheers

Pete
5 REPLIES
N/A

BBCi Player

i've been told it could be due to a new IP range - not sure..
N/A

BBCi Player

When PlusNet introduce new IPs they must tell BBCi to add these to the list of IPs which are allowed access. It seems that BBCi aren't that good at updating the list, and it can take from a few days, to a few weeks for them to do this.
N/A

BBCi Player

Thanks for the info Chris,

Someone else said that after i posted - fair enough

Pete
N/A

BBCi Player

When PlusNet introduce new IPs they must tell BBCi to add these to the list of IPs which are allowed access. It seems that BBCi aren't that good at updating the list, and it can take from a few days, to a few weeks for them to do this.

There are possible questions here relating to the need for a tv licence for receiving videostreamed broadcasts. I am not sure if anything on BBCi is, properly speaking, a videostreamed broadcast. But the licensing question is bound to present itself at some stage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3304713.stm says
"BBC News is now available in broadband quality video - and it's free to UK licence fee payers."
That seems to imply that it should be unavailable to broadband users without a tv licence. The BBC failed to respond to an e-mail that I sent on this issue.

Are PlusNet broadband subscribers, without a tv licence, able to have their IP's excluded from the list of those allowed BBCi access? The BBC is normally very suspicious about households without licences.

--
Alan
N/A

BBCi Player

That would require some form of managment process, for which I veru much doubt either the BBC or PlusNet would be willing to pay for.

Such exclusions would not be technicaly possible unless an ISP built there system to destringuish between fee and non-fee paying subscribers. Again, somthing that ISP would not be willing to pay for.

With PlusNet, IP blocks could be used, as all broadband customers use static IPs. However, some ISPs don't, leaving it alosmost impossible.

I am unsure how the law stands on non-fee payers, for watching internet content. Somthing I suspect the BBC may sooner or later attempt to test in court.