cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axis webcams

N/A

Axis webcams

Has anyone experience with Axis webcams?

Has anyone gone down the route of "pushing" images via FTP to a webserver for onward motion jpeg??

Or do most people use the camera as its own webserverHuh

Thanks

Moderators note by Chris: Moved to a more relevent forum.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Axis webcams

Has anyone gone down the route of "pushing" images via FTP to a webserver for onward motion jpeg??

I haven't any idea at the moment but I'm also trying to establish a way of doing this, possibly from a streaming angle.

Or do most people use the camera as its own webserverHuh

Is this possible and if so what equipment would be needed to fulfil the complete job?
N/A

Axis webcams

I believe Plusnet's cams are Axis.. could be wrong
N/A

Axis webcams

For FTP push, this can be very demanding on the servers involved, especicialy if using a constant update, and in some FTP environments it can even fail.

Most cemeras can recover from a failure though, and I suspect Axis would.

As for the builtin webserver option, this is by far the best and easiest to setup with the right equipment.

With this option, any requests for images or streams are sent direct to the cemera. As such, the cemera must be addressable from the internet, either using a no-NAT setup, or port forwarding.
Community Veteran

Axis webcams

See this thread where another member has setup an axis 2100 webcam.
N/A

Axis webcams

...... any requests for images or streams are sent direct to the cemera. As such, the cemera must be addressable from the internet, either using a no-NAT setup, or port forwarding.

If I understand correctly then are you saying that my web site would need to have a program on there that would require, and be granted access to a designated folder containing mpeg files and request that they be uploaded to my web site at pre-set intervals and that the designated camera would be able to transfer a set amount of video to the folder ready for the next request from my web site?
N/A

Axis webcams

No, that effectivly would be the FTP method.

Instead of the camera activly working to keep a file on your site updated, the camera will remain idle until needed.

When sombody views your camera, there browser will make the request direct to the cemera.

Rather this cuts out the middle man, and you don't even need a computer. Provided the camera is powered, and it has access to a ADSL link, then you coudl effectly use it as a security solution.

This does present the security risk that you are telling people your IP addresss, however, it is the most effective.

With the FTP method, the camera will send a new image to a FTP server at set intervals, or constantly updating it. Then browsers request the image from the webserver.

The are draw backs to both methods.

FTP:
Posative: The camera will only have upload to one system at a time, reducing load on your connection
Negative: You connection will be used to upload, regardless of if sombody is viewing the webcam or not. Reduces your speed

Stream:
Posative: You camera only sends data when people are requesting it. Allows you full speed surfing whilst not in use.
Negative: If it becomes popular, it will saturate your connection, as it has to upload one image to several people at a time.