cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-deleting spam

Grimbo
Grafter

Auto-deleting spam

Instead of PlusNet just flagging spam, can't we have a setting for it just to be automatically deleted?

(Naturally I can set my home/office email clients to automatically delete these spam messages, but when I connect with my PDA/phone I still have to manually delete all of the emails marked [SPAM])

Cheers
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Auto-deleting spam

SPam is different from virues in that people have different ideas on what constitutes spam whereas viruses are pretty much known to be bad and can be deleted. Spam for some people may be legitimate email to others so plusnet (and many other ISPs) decided to highlight it rather than delete it so the user has ultimate control over it and can decide what can or can't be deleted.

If your happy to think that PlusNet get's it's detection of spam correct 100% of the time (which it does not), just setup a rule in your email client to delete it.
lowry
Grafter

Auto-deleting spam

Yes, as Peter has said - the spam e-mails are only highlighted instead of deleted because the spam filter is not 100% accurate (although it is very good in my opinion) and so legitimate e-mail could get deleted. The only method would be to configure the mail clients on your home & office e-mail clients and your PDA to automatically delete e-mails marked as [SPAM].

If you have mailboxes that are only getting spam then you could set-up a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com - all e-mails then sent to that mailbox (make sure you aren't getting any legitimate e-mail first!) will be deleted automatically.

matt Wink
Grimbo
Grafter

Auto-deleting spam

Thanks guys....

As I said, I do have my home and office email clients set up to automatically send the spam to a trash folder, its just that my phone and PDA don't have such luxuries and hence, I get spam on these (albeit marked as [SPAM]).

The spam filtering is so good that i'd be prepared to take the chance that the odd email got lost.

If it was the customers choice and made perfectly clear that it was our decision and our risk then why not add the tick box.
lowry
Grafter

Auto-deleting spam

Yes, I agree that if the spam filtering always gets it right for you then it would be easier to have the spam automatically deleted.

The issue is, in my opinion, that if PlusNet did introduce such a feature and a novice user ticked the box thinking that their spam problems were over, they may get complaints that PlusNet have deleted their e-mails, etc (I know they ticked it, but they may not have realised). Smiley I realise that may seem a bit far-fetched but some users could get confused.

Also, I believe that there is probably not a great deal of demand for such a feature. Most people I believe would prefer to have the e-mail just marked as spam and would probably see PlusNet auto-deleting spam as a step too far. Would it be worth the development time?

Could be an idea though...

matt Wink
joeatiyah

Spam

My previous ISP (Freeserve / Wanadoo) placed suspected spam in a separate box which could be viewed using the webmail feature on their web site, so if you suspected false positives you could check up, otherwise spam was effectively removed automatically - this worked quite well.
Grimbo
Grafter

Re: Spam

My previous ISP (Freeserve / Wanadoo) placed suspected spam in a separate box which could be viewed using the webmail feature on their web site, so if you suspected false positives you could check up, otherwise spam was effectively removed automatically - this worked quite well.

Great idea!
N/A

Mucho Spamola

This was the bane of my life 'til not that long ago.

I use Mailwasher and it was helping me get rid of a lot of the 800+ junk mails a day I was getting, by reasonably simple use of the filters. However, the volume started to make it fall over.

I took the advice of this forum and set up a postmaster mailbox and also a few other mailboxes (letting the people I trust know the new addresses) and then raised a ticket to get everything sent to the default mailbox re-routed to a blackhole address. Instant spam reduction.

I am now extremely careful about letting my email address get displayed anywhere on the net and have robots.txt (do a Google search for a good explanation and the full text) in my root website folder - hence no webbots picking up an email address on my site.

Mailwasher remains an excellent product.