cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Smartphone users out there?

N/A

Hi All

My wife is awaiting delivery of a Microsoft Windows Mobile powered smartphone and we are both wondering how simple or complicated a process it is likely to be for her/us to set it up to collect e-mail from the Plusnet account?

Any suggestions as to if any further software needs to be downloaded to the phone to this end; or anything else we would need to know would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

IanJ
7 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I have an O2 XDA IIs with Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Phone Edition (get your tongue around that) on it.

You use a stylus with it, it's like a PDA with a phone built in. But it has Pocket Outlook on it which works really well over GPRS.

Is it an Orange SPV you're awaiting delivery of? I'm not sure how the functionality works with those as some of them have a different interface (and no stylus).
N/A

Is it an Orange SPV you're awaiting delivery of?

It is; but it seems to have the same tongue twister software as your XDA so presumably will work albiet with a bit more of a challenge without the stylus.

Curious..... when one becomes a moderator do you get a free issue of "ESP" from Plusnet........just wondered why out of so many to choose from regarding Smartphones you immediately chose the SPV ;-)

I assume that when we have worked out how it is done (much the same as OE on her laptop I gather) it is just a matter of connecting to Plusnet's 0845 number or whatever it is.Am I correct?

Thanks for the response Liam

IanJ
LiamM
Grafter

You should be able to connect to your mailbox using GPRS. No dialing up to do and much faster. Sending email goes through Orange's SMTP server.

I'm not sure what you mean by :
Curious..... when one becomes a moderator do you get a free issue of "ESP" from Plusnet........just wondered why out of so many to choose from regarding Smartphones you immediately chose the SPV

But my reason for guessing SPV is that you mentioned it was a Windows Mobile Smartphone and I only know of the O2 XDA's which is more of a PDA type thing and the Orange SPV's.
N/A

But my reason for guessing SPV is that you mentioned it was a Windows Mobile Smartphone and I only know of the O2 XDA's which is more of a PDA type thing and the Orange SPV's.

I thought there were more than that; but perhaps not.I did think of the XDA but "she who must be obeyed" reckoned it was too big but the SPV "looked cute" one cannot arque with that sort of femine logic.

IanJ
LiamM
Grafter

The XDA is a bit big, as it is a PDA really, with a phone.

I did look at the SPV, but I thought it would be too small a screen and device to work Windows Mobile.

I don't actually use my XDA as a phone anymore, just as a Pocket PC. Got me a new Nokia as a phone.
Digsy
Grafter

It's easy to set up your Windows Mobile device to collect mail from your PlusNet account. See here:

https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28375

I'm an i-Mate JAM user. Pretty much the same as the XDA2 but about 2/3 of the size. Couldn't be without mine now. It's totally running my life. If the Today Screen said "Stick head in gas oven" then I'd probably do it! Smiley
Dev
Grafter

Windows mobile 5.0 has just been released. | would wait a bit until they get it on the phones. it seems to be a major upgrade over Windows mobile 2003.