cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Kerio Personal Firewall experts in here?

Cloudmaster
Grafter

Hi all,

My KPF has for a long time been blocking 'ICMP superscan echoes' from some PlusNET accounts amongst others. Anyone know what these scans really are and should the accounts that are doing this be named & shamed :twisted:
4 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Most peoples firewalls will show this activity.

it is most likely virus infected machines, the owners of which are probably oblivious to the fact that this is happening.

The fact that kerio is doing its job should negate the need for concern.

Should a large number of atempts from 1 IP addres show up on your log then you might want to consider filtering your log for the particular ip address and sending a copy to abuse@plus.net.

In the main, though you have nothing to worry about.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Mark, I realise I'm in no danger, but was just wondering exactly what these scans are, a port scan maybe?

I'll wait until I've got a few more entries in the log & then do as you suggest.
N/A

Very basically they are pings probably scanning an IP range looking for a response from random machines, if they cant get a response they move on to someone less protected.
N/A

Anything with ICMP is a type of ping, SuperScan is a small program which scans ports, it's meant to look for open ports to help people work out weakness in their security but obviously it can be used to detect open machines.

I'm guess by the scanners size (less than 300k) it could also be used by a virus or carried by a virus.