cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Virus software wont install

N/A

Hi There,

right Here is one for you to ponder. while cleaning out a friends PC that had a bad attack of Spyware and virus,s etc this happened havent found an answer yet so looking fo some help.

Did all the usual stuff cleaned virus's and run Adaware and Spybot unistalled Kazaa (Nasty piece of work) and removed as many enteries on Msconfig and any nasty other bits. OK now I decided to Run Sophos Anti virus it curently is running AVG 6 (Free) so I disabled it and tried to Unistall it however Windows says that the setup program is a 16 file and as such could not be run there is an option to ignore however it does nout. So ran another virus scan and Nothing !!!. Decide to disable it and installl sophos ..... same problem when I run the set up program with sophos. All other programs seem OK and Install and remove OK. Updated AVG to version 7 (Free) the new one ran a scan and nothing. Any answers or sujestions would be really helpful.

Oh one other thing Media player will not play MP3 files has done this for ages says there is problem with the program and then does nout any ideas there would helpful Ive trie the usual like updating it etc but it has no difference.

Thx in advance

Jim
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You don't say what the operating system is?

If its win 98se then I suggest that you re-install windows on top of itself and see if it clears up any files that are corrupt.

If that doesnt work then perhaps format c: is an option and make a fresh stert.
N/A

my apologies

Windows XP home on an AMD 2500XP 512 Ram 80 Gb Hard Drive integrated GF4 graphics

Connected to the world via cable with a proper Ethernet presentation none of this USB rubbish !!!

J
Community Veteran

Ok I don't think you can easily do an installation of Xp on top of an existing one but I think there is an option to repair an existing one.

Make it boot from the Xp CD and proceed as though you were going to install.
It will initialy try and force you to choose another disk partition but tell it no and you should then find the repair option.

If that doesn't cure the problems then Get the important data saved and clear off the old installation and re-install
N/A

Hi Jim,
My gut feeling would be that you've still got a virus in there somewhere. This isn't pretty; isn't quick, but does work. (it's the approach I take when I need to clean a 'dirty' machine and cannot easily do a full re-build).

Before starting any 'clean-up' remove the internet & network connections from the infected machine.
As you're using Sophos, you can do a DOS scan from the command prompt, make sure you have the latest IDE's - you'll have to check Sophos's help files on how to boot (I don't run XP so cannot advise on this).

Keep a note of the virus's you find. Then using another PC look them up a Sophos web site - this'll tell you what other files you'll need to find and remove from the infected computer.

Working from the command prompt on the infected machine, remove/rename any suspect files (again keep a list incse you need to restore these). When all files removed re-run the command line scanner. If clean, re-start Windows and clear the registry of any links/calls to infected files / websites etc (usual warning about working with the registry apply!). Don't forget you'll need to clean the resistry for eah user(!) (I know its a pain but I've been bitten by not doing it!).

(If you're being hyper critical power-off then do another command line scan - if you find something you missed something in the above searches and you need to start again.)

Assuming everything's ok you can now add and remove anti-virus packages. Also add a firewall. Re-boot the machine and ensure everthings stable.
Re-connect internet & update anti-virus & firewall; then connect to MS and get the XP patches. Re-connect any LAN.

Good luck.
N/A

Thanks for that I will give it a bash and keep you informed

Cheers
Jim