cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-Spyware Tools

N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Hi,

I run SpyBot, Ad-Aware and Pest Patrol on a regular basis, but I've just downloaded a free trial of Scan Spyware, and it's picked up 25 bits of spyware that the others haven't :shock:

Anyone know about this program? any good?

I'm shocked, as I thought I was pretty good at keep on top of spyware etc. Shockedops:
13 REPLIES
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Were Spy-Bot, Adaware and Pest Patrol updated frequently (the definitions at least)? If they were, then that's pretty surprising - I'd expect a combination of these three to be 100% secure!
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Well I've just found a few types of spyware have been excluded within spybot and not my me :shock:

Yes I'm shocked, but on closer inspection, all the items it's listed don't seem to be spyware.

If I want to remove the spyware, I have to pay for the product. I'm re-running spybot now, after re-enabling some selections.

I update them all twice a week.
Community Veteran

Anti-Spyware Tools

The items ticked (when you first install the latest spybot apps) are there for a reason. They have not fully been identified as spyware and due to legal reasons from the authors/senders of that stuff, the spybot author had to stop the app from detecting those automatically until further notice. He did give the user the opportunity to untick it and in so doing puts the onus on the user and not the author which gets around the legal threats.

It is perfectly acceptable to untick them all as they are considered by most people as spyware/malware.
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Hi Peter,

I unticked all of them when I first installed the program, but about a month ago I got infected with some nasty spyware, and spybot settings must have had been changed not to pick up this particular bit of spyware. I didn't realise the settings were changed till today, since I don't normally go into the advanced mode.

Aaron
Kernuak

Anti-Spyware Tools

You need to be very wary when using unknown spyware removers. There are a number of scam products out there, some trade on the names of well known apps like Spybot and AdAware, some are rip offs, while others deliberately find false positives as a goad to buying. Some even install spyware. The one you mentioned isn't one I've come across and isn't listed as a known scam product, but I would be very wary of it.
Alecto
Grafter

Anti-Spyware Tools

Hello
This is very interesting.

I've been running Spybot as recommended on this forum, blithely unaware that there was some stuff that it purposely didn't check for.

Would someone mind explaining please how to get everything included?
I've got as far as changing mode from default to Advanced, but it's not obvious what to do then.

Geoff
:roll:
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Hi, gadgetboy. I'm not 100% certain whether your 'Scan Spyware' (developer called Antispyware Tools?) is the same product as a program called 'ScanSpyware,' but please see cautionary info on the latter, at:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Personally, I would advise anyone who wants to check on the presence of spyware on their PC, to check online at the Spysweeper site, at

http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

or at the bottom of the Pest Patrol webpage at

http://www.pestpatrol.com/Products/

I use Spysweeper, Ad-Aware & Spybot, & they work very well together on my PC.

Hello, gpattison - open Spybot (advanced mode); click on Settings- click on Ignore Products - click on tabs such as dialers, hijackers, keyloggers, malware, spybots, trojans... in turn, and make sure that there are absolutely no ticks at all in the lists under them.

You might well want to do the same under the tab All Products. Then click on the main Spybot S&D heading on the left, and Check for Problems.

I'm sure that someone more tech-savvy may come along with additional advice. Happy Hunting.
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

I suggest that you also download and run spywareblaster. It sets appropriate settings including changes to activex that helps make your browsers more secure.
Alecto
Grafter

Anti-Spyware Tools

Thanks guys.

Spybot had several items ticked to ignore - all unticked now.

Have run Spywareblaster which says it's plugged countless gaps in my security.

I suppose it's a never-ending battle to keep the nasty stuff away - a bit like a 60s police series whose name I can't remember.

Geoff

N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Sorry forget to mention,. spyblaster and spyguard, both programs I also use.

I did some further digging around, and my machine didn't have the spyware claimed by this program. In fact some of the files etc, that it was asking me to delete, would have crippled windows. :roll:

I'll stick to my current anti-spyware aps and leave it that.
Alecto
Grafter

Anti-Spyware Tools

Aaron

By Spyblaster, do you mean Spywareblaster, or have I just downloaded and run the wrong thing?

Also, I ran the audit you refer to above and it told me under Adware that I've got an Alexa Toolbar, though I'm not aware of it.
Spybot and Adaware haven't picked this up.

Have you any idea how to remove it (if it matters)?

Geoff
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

It's not considered spyware anymore, see the link.

http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=418

Cheers
Zen

p.s. I think you can go too far with these programs, I just run spybot best it's generally considered to be the best. A long time ago Adaware suggested that something was spyware and I let it delete the files and it broke my w2k, had to format and start again.
N/A

Anti-Spyware Tools

Spybot doesn't pick up everything, ad-aware picks up what spybot misses.

Geoff , sorry yes, Spyware blaster.

Spybot should remove Alexa, but maybe as already posted, it's not classed as spyware anymore.

Aaron