cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another domain name question

Novocastrian
Grafter

I have only recently signed up with Plusnet and am still feeling my way around so please bear with me if this question has been asked before.

I have a domain name (monkchester.co.uk) which was registered through Easily.co.uk
From other posts in this forum I gather that I can transfer my domain name from Easily to Plusnet without any additional charges, and that my web site address would then be monkchester.co.uk rather than the address allocated to me by Plusnet. Is that correct or would Plusnet just be forwarding traffic from my url to the Plusnet url assigned to me?
5 REPLIES
N/A

No, PlusNet will handle traffic for the domain directly, and no frame forwarding would be used.

Both the domain and the address provided from PlusNet will be operational at the same time.
Community Veteran

Yes you can transfer the domain name fully. Either by getting your old host to change the nameservers to PlusNet's ones ns1.force9.net (195.166.128.16) and ns2.force9.net (195.166.128.17) and then raising a contact us ticket to request them to transfer the domain inwards.

The easier way is to get your old host to change the IPSTAG to FORCE9 and then transfer inwards via the Domain Names section of the portal under 'My Account'.

In the first option you will be billed by your old host for renewal and under the second option via PlusNet.

Chris
Novocastrian
Grafter

So if I go for the "easier way" how long should I wait before completing the "Transfer domain in" form?
After filling in the transfer form, how long will I have to wait before I can upload my site, or is this dependant on my current host?
And most importantly, what charges will I incur, (I'm on a tight budget) Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you change the IPS Tag then the renewal fee will be £45+VAT. If you leave the IPS Tag with the existing hosts and just change the nameservers then there wouldn't be a charge from ourselves (although you would pay the renewal fee to the existing host at whatever rate they charge).

Whichever way you choose, once transferred in full propogation of the changes around the Internet usually take around 24-48 hours.

Your domain name will by default point to the htdocs folder of your standard webspace, you can of course change this to a subfolder or the CGI server if you wish. Because of this you can upload the pages to your webspace at anytime, whether the domain has propogated or not.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Thanks to you all for your help and advise.
I have gone for the DNS only option.