cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An idiots guide to putting pictures on the net

N/A

Hi folks

I am totally useless with websites, except using forums like this to discuss my hobby or ask questions Shockedops: .

I would like to be able to use my own PlusNet website to put photos on the net that I can then point to and download from other forums connected to my hobby. For example in forum threads or signatures you can usually point to a "URL" link to a website and download any image or photo from there to post in the thread of your choice. I hope I have explained this ok - probably not?

I haven't even set up a PlusNet website yet as I don't find it easy to do at all (despite the wizard) :? - thick or what lol.

Anyway any help or advice would be much appreciated. Smiley

Elaine

Moderators note (johnessex) This topic has been moved from the cgi forum as it is not really cgi related
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I will assume your running internet explorer 6. if not then the following will not hold true and you will need to use an FTP client program such as CuteFtp.

Type ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs/ into the browser address bar and hit return or click go.
You will be asked for your username and password.
Enter these and you will then be looking in the htdocs folder on your web space.
Open a folder on your your Pc that contains the pictures and drag and drop them into the htdocs folder. and thats it your pictures are in your webspace and can be called from a browser by typing in http://www.usermame.plus.com/picturefilename

To be a bit tidier your could create a sub folder in the htdocs one to keep pictures in then they are easier to find when you start putting lots of other stuff in there.
N/A

Thanks for the advice, but when I typed the link as noted down the only thing I got was "Page cannot be displayed".

The link I am typing is definitely correct as I have also used the live link in your post and got the exact same message.

I will try again at a different time to see if this is some sort of temproary problem that may sort itself out with time.

Oh I forgot to say, yes it is IE 6.

Regards

Elaine
Community Veteran

Elaine

which of the 2 links do you mean?
The one to ftp your pictures up or the one to look at them.

The ftp link works ok from here?

If its the one to look at them http://www.usermame.plus.com/picturefilename
then copying this in its entirety will not work as it needs to be changed so that username is your own username and picturefilename is the actual file name, for example myphoto.jpg or whatever you picture is called.
N/A

The link I was using was the ftp one.

I have tried it again this morning and it still comes up - page could not be found. It cannot be because I am typing it in wrong because I have clicked on it from within your post and copy and pasted it in but still get the same result.
Community Veteran

If you are using IE6 I cannot see why this will not work for you.
I have just tried again this morning and it works fine from here.
You could just try clicking on this link ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs/ without the copy and paste which should take you into your htdocs folder on the home pages after you have replied to the username and password prompt.
N/A

Looks like I'll just have to give up on this then.

I have just tried the live link in your previous post and still get the same message - server not found and Page not found. Definitely using IE6 so cannot explain this.

I'm just gonna give up on this now.

Thanks any way for the help. Maybe others can use the link and the advice you gave without any trouble at all.

Regards

Elaine
N/A

You may need to enable the FTP capabilities of IE 6.

Click on "Tools" then "Options".

Click the "Advanced" tab

Make sure "Enable folder view for FTP sites" is enabled.

Aditionaly, depending on your setup, you may need to change the current setting of "Use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL compatibility)".
Community Veteran

Yes good point Philip
This is very likely the problem as the URL I posted is definately correct.
N/A

yeah the URL you posted was correct, i got on no problem using IE6 - firewall AND router. so hrrms about elains troubles
N/A

Hi

Thanks very much the problem was with my advanced settings. I have enabled FTP now and can get to where I need to be. Smiley

Thanks to all for the advice, hope it helps other plusnet users as well.

Regards

Elaine
Community Veteran

Glad you got there in the end Wink
Just shows the power of these forums Cheesy
Ianwild
Grafter

This time next year you will have installed Gallery in your CGI space and will be really flying!

Enjoy!!!
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

I was going to ask whether you were on commission Ian but I see it's Freeware. Smiley
N/A

I am looking to do the same thing as Elaine for the exact same reason. I don't have ie6 so have downloaded cuteftp and dragged a .jpg file into my htdocs directory.

When I type in www.[myusername].plus.com/picturename.jpg I get a file not found error. I am sure that I am typing correctly as when I edit the URL to point at a similarly named .html file I see the page.

Am I missing something? Is there an extra step with cuteftp?

Thanks