cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Excel and Macro question (so not strictly internet)?

newinvention
Grafter

Hi,

I've been working on a big spreadsheet using Excel 97 for some months. Suddenly when I came to open the file this morning I get a macro warning - asking me if I want to open the doc since macros can be harmful, etc.

I haven't put any macros in there (wouldn't know how) and the spreadsheet hasn't been used by anyone else.

I don't even know how to find the macro that's meant to be in there!!

I did virus check the file incase something nasty had got in (AVG Free edn) but no virus according to scan.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks a lot.
Sarah
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Looks to be a known problem of false warnings.
This security patch is supposed to fix it.
newinvention
Grafter

Thanks Geoff,

I wonder why it started to appear all of a sudden, though? Just one of those things I suppose. Well, I'll see if the patch helps. All best, Sarah
Alecto
Grafter

All I did was Google on Excel macro warning. Tongue

If the patch doesn't do it, you can either look further on Google, or I should think it's safe to ignore the warning and just carry on.
N/A

Have you installed anything lately? Adobe acrobat puts macro's in excel word etc and so do a lot of other simliar progs that add buttons to excel.
Anything that prints is often favorite to add to all MS stuff like a new printer.

Try opening word and see if you get the same happen
N/A

"so not strictly internet"

with Google doing a beta of an online spreadsheet, spreadsheets and macros might be one day (though not as "Excel" perhaps... would MS put that online for free?)